Heaters, Pumps, Automation, oh my... need help selecting replacement equipment

billyz

Mar 14, 2016
Western NY - Lake Erie
My current heater has quit and my pump is likely on its last season. I've been trying to research heaters and automation controls and I'm honestly struggling to find enough detailed information to even make a selection, let along to be confident i would be buying the right parts to work together. Even if I just "stick with Hayward" to build off of my existing SWG and pump timer, i still can't find any real information on what parts/pieces i need or how things connect.

I expect to do the installation and setup on my own so I am trying to find full details on how everything connects, what parts are directly compatible and what parts will need adapters etc. I just can't seem to find it and it's getting frustrating. I'm hoping if I share my plans here some of you folks can help me out, as you have in the past, even if it's just pointing me to some better resources to continue my research. Product recommendations/cautions are also certainly welcome (I'm not sure what forum policies are in place in this regard).

Pool details in my signature are still accurate.

I need to replace the heater, multiple attempts at fixing it have failed. The existing heater is natural gas and after examining the differences between heaters and heat pumps i think I'd like to stick with a heater due to the wide temp swings and long spring/falls where i'm trying to extend my swim season. I'm targeting between 250k-400k BTU (pool is 16x32 oval above ground and we do use a solar blanket), the size i go with will likely depend on how much everything else will add to the overall cost. For heater automation, I would like to be able to adjust temp and turn the heater on/off, without having to walk down to the equipment area. A wired control panel on the pool deck would be the minimum. Preferably something wireless i could put in the house or a phone app (without a subscription fee...) would be ideal.

I will likely need to replace the pump soon as well. The SWG controller has an analog pump timer (one of those dials with switches for every hour) and i'm pretty comfortable if that has to stay as is, but a nice upgrade of being able to turn on the pump outside of the schedule without having to walk down to the equipment area would be a nice perk, but it's not a requirement.

I've been looking at the Hayward H series heaters and the OmniHub options for connecting the heater & SWG to allow the pump control i was hoping for, and i'm not certain if i need their Omni pumps are required or if the on-off control on the SWG is sufficient and i can replace it with any adequate pump.

Thanks for taking the time to read, any suggestions or cautions are welcomed and much appreciated!

I found the installation manual for the Hayward OmniHub and the install looks pretty straightforward so i'm a little more confident there. Though i didn't see any details in that manual for connecting the SWG. I found that there's a daughter board required for the AquaRite controllers, but i'm not sure if my older/cheaper AquaTrol SWG controller is compatible.

I've gone ahead and ordered the Hayward 400k BTU heater as I know it will support the omnihub if i decide to make the investment later. Now on to selecting a pump... if I'm understanding the manual correctly, any single-speed pump would work via the OmniHub relays so that's probably what i'll get. How much value is there to getting a variable speed pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.