Heater Shutdown Delay Necessary?

TomsSaltyPool

Dec 9, 2020
San Diego CA
We run off Propane, not cheap, and every time we use the hot tub we were told to run the heater delay after. When we shut it off, the delay pulls the water from the pool, °50, and drops the hot tub to the same temp.
Is the delay feature necessary, because we want the hot tub to stay an ambient/warmer resting temp so we don't have to heat it so much everytime. A 100° hot tub should stay warmish even after 24hrs, saving us propane when we heat it next.

Welcome to TFP.

The heater cool down is recommended. A rapid heater shutdown can leave the heater internals hot and water int he heater to boil and over time damage the heat exchanger.

Tell us about your pool and spa setup that causes the spa temperature to drop during the heater cooldown.

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment so we can provide more detailed advice.

So when we turn off the spa the pool filter turns on for 5 minutes during the delay. This causes the pool water to pull into spa and then over the waterfall/spillway back into the pool. It's winter and the pool is a constant 50°. After 5 min of pool water being pulled in and spa water being pushed out, the spa drops temp dramatically.
We want to find a way not to loose all the heat and have to start over each time we use the spa.

You still have not told me what equipment you have.

The key is turning off your spillway from constantly running when in pool mode.

You EasyTouch has a spillover function to turn the spillover on and off.

You have a spa fill pipe that is bypassing the spa return valve and feeding the spa when in POOL mode. You may have a valve on it to turn it off. Post pics of your equipment pad and plumbing and show us what you have.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pentair insists their heaters don't need the cool-down delay. It is obviously more prudent to incorporate the delay, but maybe it's not strictly necessary.

Some heaters require a cool-down cycle before being switched off. This can be setup in the menu to run the
filter pump an additional ten minutes to dissipate residual heat built up inside the heater combustion chamber.
The Delay Cancel feature is mainly for use by service technicians when it’s necessary to shut the filter pump
off immediately, and know the heater has not been running. Heaters manufactured by Pentair Water Pool and
Spa® do not require this cool-down period and do not need the delay to be set up.

You EasyTouch has a spillover function to turn the spillover on and off.

You have a spa fill pipe that is bypassing the spa return valve and feeding the spa when in POOL mode. You may have a valve on it to turn it off. Post pics of your equipment pad and plumbing and show us what you have.
I changed the valve and it seemed to work once the spa turned off...cool down was only warm water etc. Came out 3 hrs later and my spa was empty. No sign of water from the overflow drain, etc. Not sure where it went, but the valve solution isn't it.

I don’t know what valve you changed. Below I circled your spa makeup line that is feeding water to the spa when in POOL mode. There is a check valve in the middle to have the water flow one way but no valve to turn it off.

6DE66622-EBD7-490C-A5C8-DD1C60CDCD78.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.