Heater recommendations?

Jul 18, 2016
Ventura County
Hi all, our current Mastertemp 400 finally bit it after 14 years. Looking for recommendations on a replacement. Our pool is around 14000 gallons with a 800 gallon spillover spa. The same model heater looks to be around $2000- 2700, while Raypak is a lot cheaper for what seems like a comparable model. Is there a benefit to cupro nickel in a chlorine pool? I know I need a low nox model in Cali, but is 400k btu overkill? Thanks

Hi all, our current Mastertemp 400 finally bit it after 14 years. Looking for recommendations on a replacement. Our pool is around 14000 gallons with a 800 gallon spillover spa. The same model heater looks to be around $2000- 2700, while Raypak is a lot cheaper for what seems like a comparable model. Is there a benefit to cupro nickel in a chlorine pool?

What specific model Raypak are you looking at?

Cupro nickel is claimed to alst longer. But there are so many reasons heaters die that it is hard to know that you w ll benefit from it.

I know I need a low nox model in Cali, but is 400k btu overkill?

Depends how rapidly you want the pool or spa to heat.

14 years is pretty good for a heater. As long as you keep your water chemistry balanced, the cupronickel is unnecessary. In fact, because cupronickel has less heat transfer, that model is slightly less efficient than a regular copper heat exchanger. So I’m not sure the perceived benefit of a slightly more chemical resistant metal is worth the actual detriment of lower energy efficiency.

It would be interesting to see an eTi model in action as those are direct fired titanium heat exchangers. Costs a lot more though.

Reactions: turbodmac
14 years is pretty good for a heater. As long as you keep your water chemistry balanced, the cupronickel is unnecessary. In fact, because cupronickel has less heat transfer, that model is slightly less efficient than a regular copper heat exchanger. So I’m not sure the perceived benefit of a slightly more chemical resistant metal is worth the actual detriment of lower energy efficiency.

It would be interesting to see an eTi model in action as those are direct fired titanium heat exchangers. Costs a lot more though.
We've only been in this house (and this pool) for the last 2 years. I switched to the TFP method after the first season. I was on SWG for our last 2 pools so I needed to learn. The previous owner was using pucks and the CYA was through the roof. I did a partial drain and refill last season and the water looks great now. I expect to get some good life out of this heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.