Heater Recommendation But Retain Automation through Jandy

Apr 20, 2012
Tampa, FL
So I have a full Jandy automation setup. My Jandy Lite 2 (400,000 BTU) heater is at end of life, full of rust and now it isn't working. I want to replace it with something that is a built better and will not rust and also stay around the 400,000BTU range. I also want to retain the automation aspects of the current setup. Can I use any brand heater? What is the best rated heater these days? Any recommendations are welcomed.

I would go with the a Jandy heater. You can get the JXi series for around $2k. Yes, any heater will work with the automation, but if it is Jandy, you will connect via 4 wire interface and get better control of the heater. That's how mine is setup. I get 1-2 degrees/hour rise on my 29k gallon pool with the 400k btu JXi.

I inspected my current wiring setup. I have power and then just two wires are connected to other wires on the existing heater. As it applies to 'more functionality' what is that? Does it require a certain level/version of the automation? Mine was installed in 2007.

All of the heater pros on TFP recommend Raypak gas heaters. Your heater is connected via fireman switch which is the same way a new Raypak heater would connect. It is basically just an on/off switch.

If I lived in Tampa would definitely get my gas heater from Paul! :)

Raypak is a simpler heater with less stuff to break. And the pros servicing them consistently say they receive less service calls for Raypak heaters than they do for other heaters.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.