Heater problems

jholbey

Feb 9, 2020
Northern Il
I just installed a 11kw heater. It says I need 15gpm to turn the heaters on. I have 25gpm and a 60amp box w/gfci breakers. This is a 90ft run with #6 wire Coming out of a 3ph 200 main box with 2-70amp breakers per manufacturer installation instructions. My heaters will not come on and my unit will not let me set a temperature. There are no codes showing to help me. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Welcome to TFP.

Knowing details of your pool and equipment can help us answer your questions. Please create your signature .

What manufacture and model heater do you have? What pump do you have?

I just installed a rapak E3T 11kw heater. I can’t get the heaters to come on. This heater shows I have 25gpm of flow. This should turn the heaters on but it doesn’t. Does anyone have or had similar problems like this? This heater also won’t let me set a temperature. Any help would be much appreciated.

I believe this is the manual for your heater - http://images.inyopools.com/cloud/documents/e3t-pool-and-spa-heater-manual.pdf

The manual shows one 60A 240V breaker for the SPA 0011. Why did you say you used a 70A breaker?

Are you sure you have sufficient electrical power connected for your model?

Check that you have the water flow correct and did not switch the input and output connection.

I have not seen anyone around here with that model heater. Let’s see if anyone appears.

Last edited:
I just installed a 11kw heater. It says I need 15gpm to turn the heaters on. I have 25gpm and a 60amp box w/gfci breakers. This is a 90ft run with #6 wire Coming out of a 3ph 200 main box with 2-70amp breakers per manufacturer installation instructions. My heaters will not come on and my unit will not let me set a temperature. There are no codes showing to help me. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
To be honest this is all a bit of a jumble and confusing.

What has a 60 amp box? The existing spa? Do you have an existing spa or is this all a new install?

What does "3ph 200" mean, and why do you have two 70 amp breakers? The manual @ajw22 linked shows a single, double pole 60 amp breaker. Two separate breakers are not the same thing as a double pole breaker.

Can you draw a schematic of how you wired it, or take some pictures?

What has a 60 amp box? The existing spa? Do you have an existing spa or is this all a new install?

What does "3ph 200" mean, and why do you have two 70 amp breakers? The manual @ajw22 linked shows a single, double pole 60 amp breaker. Two separate breakers are not the same thing as a double pole breaker.

Thanks for your reply... I have a 60ampdouble pole breaker for my sub panel this comes from a 200amp 3-phase main panel with the two 70amp breakers as required by manufacturers install instructions. The wire #6 all the way to heater about 90ft... this is a new install. Thanks for any advice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for your reply... yes the heater does power on... it shows gpm, present water temperature but will not let me set a desired temperature.

It sounds like maybe only 1 leg of your 220 volt line is getting power. 110 volt could be enough to power the display but the heater element needs 220 volts to work.

Why do you think that you have 3-phase power?

Does the display show E1, E2, E3, E4 or E5?

Is the remote "fireman's switch" open or closed?

Did you measure the actual voltage line-to-line?

Last edited:

i think you are on to something here. again, please take a photo of the breaker supplying the sub panel and the sub panel
Thanks again for your response... I have 208volts at the heater I measured it so I know I have both 120volts.I will get you a pic of both panels but my main panel is 3-phase 200amp 90ft away from my new install sub panel to spa 60amp double breaker. I’m showing 120 on each leg of sub panel and 208 across both lines. I have 208volts at my heater. I’m just not sure what to do from here? Thanks again and I will get you pics.

Thanks again for your response... I have 208volts at the heater I measured it so I know I have both 120volts.I will get you a pic of both panels but my main panel is 3-phase 200amp 90ft away from my new install sub panel to spa 60amp double breaker. I’m showing 120 on each leg of sub panel and 208 across both lines. I have 208volts at my heater. I’m just not sure what to do from here? Thanks again and I will get you pics. Oh this is a existing spa but new electrical install.

Why do you think that you have 3-phase power?

Does the display show E1, E2, E3, E4 or E5?

Is the remote "fireman's switch" open or closed?

Did you measure the actual voltage line-to-line?
Thanks for your reply... I know that my main panel that supplies my sub panel is 3-phase. This is a church and we have 3-120volt lines coming in the main 200amp panel which feeds my 60amp sub panel 208volts. My sub panel is not 3-phase I have 2-120volt lines coming in. I hope this helps in explaining how this is wired. I measured 208volts at my heater. Both legs are there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.