Heater Outlet Temperature

Few update for those interested:

1) Got the gas meter replaced but no change. Spoke to the tech from the gas company and he agreed I should up-size my meter (no charge) but the previous one can easily handle 400kBTUs even if it is outside the rating of the meter. Anyway, I have that set now.
2) I have about 6" WC of gas pressure at the heater with the unit off (manometer on the gas valve) . I did not measure it while running.
3) I suspect the whining sounds is the next suspect to tackle. BINGO!

The Internal Automatic Bypass Valve was MISSING the Bypass Disc (See photo - what I took out vs that extra piece circled in red I installed with the new kit). While the spring looked ok from peaking in and checking the Unitherm Governor, ultimately I had to pull the header off to figure out what was going on.

My theory is that without the disc, the cold water was essentially diverting pass the heater and back to the pool. Likewise, an uncontrolled amount of water did go into the heater but had no pressure/control to satisfy minimum GPMs and High Limit 2 sensitivity was essentially lack of flow.

I have adjusted the gas pressure and flow without any whining sounds or limit trips.

Temp Rise = 11.4 F at 40GPM

I have conflicting readings of gas usage (gas clocking the new meter). If I use the 1/2 cu ft dial and spin revolutions (18s) I am at about 400kBTU input. If I use the 2 cu ft dial (23s), I am closer to 313kBUT input.
This implies my GPM is probably closer to 45 GPM (assuming 323kBTU, 82% efficiency, and 11.4 F rise)

I have adjusted the gas supply almost 100% on (back off from complete clockwise turning) and cannot get pas ~313 cu ft.

Anyway, at this point, the performance is closer to expectations and I'm probably nitpicking.

-Tim

Attachments

• bypass_missing_part.jpg
    bypass_missing_part.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 2
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.