Heater options for pool renovation in CT

Banya112

Jun 21, 2019
I have an inground vinyl liner pool renovation getting ready to start in the Hartford, CT area. Everything is pretty much decided on except the heater. Currently, I have no heater at my pool. I have read a lot to compare a natural gas heater vs. heat pump. My pool gets full sun pretty much all day, but we are hoping to extend the season with opening in May and closing into the middle of September.

These are the two options my pool builder is recommending:

1) Aquacal SQ145 for $3500. New electrical is already being run to the equipment pad. Electrical in CT is about $.22 per kilowatt hour.

2) Pentair Mastertemp 400k btu for $2500. It will be an additional $1100 to run the natural gas line. Gas is about $1 a therm.

I was hoping to hear thoughts from people in a similar climate regarding the natural gas vs. heat pump question. Do I just go with the gas heater for better reliability of heating in cooler weather at the start and end of the season?

Thank you.

A cupro-nickel heat exchanger will be less sensitive to water chemistry issues. If there is not a lot of difference in cost I would get it. If you will be sloppy with your water chemistry I would get it. There are many other reasons heaters fail and need to be replaced and it’s a roll of the dice if you will recoup the additional cost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.