Harrisburg,PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I installed my Laars Lite heater in 1995. Over that time it has never been used constantly. Instead it gets turned on periodically to bump the water temp. As we get older that seems to happen more often.

The heater still works but the price increases in propane have me wondering how much more efficient a newer heater may be. My unit has never needed service and I tend to follow the mantra that if it ain't broke don't fix it. If I am just throwing money away with it it may be time to make an upgrade.

Has there been much change the technology of propane heaters over the past 25 years?

You'll never save enough on gas to justify buying a more efficient heater. When it actually breaks and needs a replacement, that's a different story.

You'll never save enough on gas to justify buying a more efficient heater. When it actually breaks and needs a replacement, that's a different story.
That is what I wanted to hear. Thank you.

Does your answer imply that newer heaters are more efficient?

That is what I wanted to hear. Thank you.

Does your answer imply that newer heaters are more efficient?

Some are. Jandy has a high efficiency one. I think most are 80% but this one is 95%. I looked at this one when the pool was being built and couldn't even justify the higher price then for the more efficient one over the less efficient one. I seem to remember it was over $2k more.

Once a pool heater gets into the 90% efficiency range, you have very special installation requirements. Most important is what to do with the very acidic condensation they produce. It will dissolve concrete.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.