Heater below freezing

gqneon

May 26, 2016
Frisco, TX
I figure the answer is no, but I’m wondering if I can turn my heater on to add some warmth to my pool (Frisco, TX) and spa as it’s beginning to ice over and one of my low flowing bubbler lines stopped flowing as though the pipes froze up but not yet burst.

I tried thawing the valve with low heat from a heat gun but feel like it’s a.) not working and b.) not that great of an idea.

I was thinking if I had the heater running it could thaw the pipe near the valve internally and I could set it to full open until this freeze passes.

The best thing you can do is put a tarp over your equipment and put a drop light under it. That will assist in keeping your equipment warmer.

Was there water flowing through the line that froze? All systems should have water flowing through them with your temperature right now.

After losing my heater last year to freeze damage (thankfully it was very old and I knew it would be replaced soon)
I decided to drain it every winter starting this one. No way I'm chancing another heat exchanger replacement for $ 2,000.

It made it through winter 2015 so 2016 was a bit of a surprise but we did have a lot more
nights of below 20 and I should have known better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.