Heater and Globrite wiring

kwolfe

Mar 28, 2013
Central PA
Hey folks. I'm so close to done it's killing me but two more issue I'm having with wiring. Let me start by saying that Pentair leaves a lot to be desired in the manual category. They really are not clear and the pictures in the manual don't always match what I have.

Pentair Mastertemp 250. The manual here says that it should come wired for 240v but I would like to run it off 120v and save the subpanel space especially since it can't draw much current for the ingitor and LED display. The manual say there are two plugs (black and red) for switching voltage. I can't for the life to me find them since the manual doesn't look like my unit inside. If I have to wire 240 I can and see the red, black, and green wires for it.

PX100 transformer and 3 Globrite LEDs. The LED leds comeing from the conduit give me a black and white wire, no sweat. However when you open the transformer, there are a balck and white on one side and blue, orange, green and I think red on the other side. There is also what looks like a ground bus bar in the middle. Sorry I don't have pics but I ran out of time.

Any idea how to wire this to a regular 120v live coming in? I'll be suing a regular light switch to control it.

Thanks

Thanks, that's perfect. So once I switch the plug I assuming green = ground, and then the hot and neutral can be wired either way to the remaining black and red, or black to black and red to white?

BTW, I love this forum. So many helpful people.

Yes green is ground. If you are running the wire to the heater and you are using 120, run a black and a white wire. Then connect the heaters black to the black and the heaters red to the white. Also, if you have a pump timer clock, you can connect the heater to the pump timer. Just make sure if your pump is 240 from the timer that you leave the heater set to 240. Doing the wiring like this makes sure that the heater can only run when the pump is on and will obviously shut off when the pump shuts off.

Don't forget the bonding wire!

especially since it can't draw much current for the ingitor and LED display.

The Mastertemp has a mixer/blower motor that runs when the heater is on and is the major current draw.

What voltage is your pump? The way ps0303 described the 240v system is how mine was wired. They used the same 240v feed from the panel through the timer through a toggle switch then branches off to both the heater and the pump. No extra breaker exists in my panel for the heater.

They didn't give me a timer since the Pentair Superflo VS pump has the timer built into it. From what I understand, the heater won't turn on if there is not sufficient water flow/pressure.

For sure, I have the bonding wire screwed in.

They didn't give me a timer since the Pentair Superflo VS pump has the timer built into it. From what I understand, the heater won't turn on if there is not sufficient water flow/pressure.

For sure, I have the bonding wire screwed in.

OK if you have no timer clock, understandable, then yes you will need to wire it to a breaker. It can be 120 or 240, your choice. Just use the correct plug inside the heater. Yes correct, the heater does have a pressure switch and unless it senses pressure it will not fire up. I would just keep the heater manually powered off when not in use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.