Heat Pump won't turn off

Jun 10, 2018
Englewood/FL
I have an AquaCal Heatwave heater that is controlled by Pentair EasyTouch controller. Lately the heater won't turn off. The only thing I can do to turn the heater off is to turn off at the breaker. I've turned it to off on the heater touch pad itself. I've also turned it to off (and set the temperature down as low as it will go) for both the spa and pool (spa spills over into the pool). Regardless off all of this the only way to keep the heater from turning on is to turn it off a the breaker. One thing I've noticed that doesn't seem correct is that the "Heater" indicator light above the Heater button doesn't come on no matter what. I'm trying to avoid purchasing a new unit only to find out that's not the issue. Any thoughts or troubleshooting ideas?

Welcome to the forum.

That is a Heat Pump. How is it connected to your Easytouch System?

Your HP is controlled by the "fireman's switch". That is simply a relay in the ET that closes the circuit in the HP anytime the pool water temperature is below the heat set point in the ET.

You need a multimeter and the ability to follow the wire between the ET and the HP. The problem could be:
  • stuck relay in the ET
  • shorted wire
  • control problem in the HP

You can find the ET Installation manual on the net for the heater connection point. And you will need to find an installation manual for the Aquacal.

Reactions: mknauss
Your HP is controlled by the "fireman's switch". That is simply a relay in the ET that closes the circuit in the HP anytime the pool water temperature is below the heat set point in the ET.

You need a multimeter and the ability to follow the wire between the ET and the HP. The problem could be:
  • stuck relay in the ET
  • shorted wire
  • control problem in the HP

You can find the ET Installation manual on the net for the heater connection point. And you will need to find an installation manual for the Aquacal.

Thanks. This gives me some things to check before jumping to the conclusion that it's the ET. I'm hoping it something as simple as a stuck relay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.