Heat pump warranty requires professional installation?

riny

Gold Supporter
Aug 20, 2020
NY, USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I'm going to put in a heat pump in the spring, and I'm starting now to plan everything out. I'm going to change my pump at the same time for a VSP (either Pentair SuperFlo VS or Hayward Super Pump VS), so I'll probably consider a heat pump from the same manufacturer, unless anyone has a better recommendation.

Here's the question though: I'm 100% confident doing the plumbing and electrical work myself. But I read that some manufacturers won't honor the warranty unless you use one of their approved installers. I can't find the article where I read this though, and I don't remember exactly which brands they were talking about.

Does anybody know more about this?

Pentair warranties are tricky and a bit inconsistent. But generally you get 60 days if you install things yourself, one or two years if installed by a pro (and they have definitions for what "pro" means) and three years if you buy certain items together. There are also caveats for where you purchase. It's here:

I expect other brands will have similar resources to look up.

Reactions: riny
Correct, most manufacturers will require whatever they consider "professional installation" for the warranty to be in effect. What you can do is do most of the electrical/plumbing work myself except for the so-called last-mile. Then have a GC or similarly licensed professional do the final hook-up. Usually that part is not too expensive and you get the benefit of the whole warranty. Just make sure to get a receipt of some sort that proves that the installation was done by that professional.

Reactions: riny and borjis
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.