Decatur, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
I have a 10,140 gallon pool and would like to add an electric heater. I trust this place more than any other so came here for recommendations. Would like to keep cost down and it wouldn't need to be used very often. Thanks in advance!

Heat pumps come in different sizes - usually rated by BTU output.
The larger the heat pump, the faster it can heat the pool.

You may want to determine what times of the year or pool season you are most likely to need/want to heat the pool.
Then base the size heater on the anticipated temperature rise desired and how long you're willing to wait to attain that temperature rise. It shouldn't cost any more in electricity to heat the pool say 10 degrees regardless of the heater size. It's mostly about how long you want to wait to heat it 'x' degrees.

Reactions: rcs29
If you are asking about brands, I have only owned Hayward and AquaComfort. I think they were about equivalent in quality. If you are asking about size, I would buy the one with the highest BTU rating that you can afford. As proavia mentions, it comes down to how long you want to wait for the pool to heat. Heat pumps are great for maintaining the temperature of a pool and not so great at getting to temperature. In the spring, it could take several days to get to swimming temperature. I would suggest solar covers are a requirement if you have a heat pump. On cool May or September days, I could lose enough heat if I left the cover off at night so that it would take most of the day to get back to swimming temperature.

Reactions: rcs29 and 1poolman1
If you are asking about brands, I have only owned Hayward and AquaComfort. I think they were about equivalent in quality. If you are asking about size, I would buy the one with the highest BTU rating that you can afford. As proavia mentions, it comes down to how long you want to wait for the pool to heat. Heat pumps are great for maintaining the temperature of a pool and not so great at getting to temperature. In the spring, it could take several days to get to swimming temperature. I would suggest solar covers are a requirement if you have a heat pump. On cool May or September days, I could lose enough heat if I left the cover off at night so that it would take most of the day to get back to swimming temperature.
I have an auto cover which retains heat very well. Thank you for the brands you've had experience with. Sounds like I need to go huge BTU's.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.