Dec 10, 2020
Round Rock, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello Everyone,
I have an Aqua Cal Heat Pump and a bubble wrap type pool cover.
Newbie Questions are:
Is it ok to turn on the heat pump when the water is 50* or is that too cold?
I know it's going to eat a lot of Kw, but we got some family over and they want to take a dip (I told them to take a hot shower, but that didn't to well)
Also, I know once the water gets to temp...I'm looking at around 80* - 85*, I should put a cover on to help keep the temp in the water.
My question is, how to I keep the bubble wrap cover on the pool without it flying away?

Thank you!

I would say the average temp now would probably be around 45*.
The weather here fluctuates so much it's difficult to say.
It may be high 60s low 30s, then the next thing its high 70s low 60s.
So, I'll have to say average 45*.

Well I think I just found my answer...the Heat Pump relies on the ambient air temp to draw the heat out of the air into the pool.
I guess with an average temp of 45*, this would be a no go.
So, my suggestion to take a hot shower is the only way now...LOL!

Or suggest a pole plunge! If you’ve got a Spa nearby they can warm up with a soak after a refreshing dive in the ice water.

Heat pumps shine when the temps are warmer, but cold outdoor temps are their kryptonite. There’s simply not enough warmth in the air for them to effectively pull heat from point A (the air) and put it in point B (the water).

To directly answer your question about covers, they should sit flat against the water and very little air should ever get underneath the cover. Often covers will be sold as a rectangle and will need to be cut to match the pools shape. Don’t let any sit on the deck as that’s what will cause air to get under and send the cover flying.

Thank you Leebo!
Good thing my pool is a rectangle...I'll test fit it tomorrow, hopefully the wind won't be blowing hard...I had waves in my pool the other night!

Heat pump will do next to nothing at those temps and even if it did unless
You ran it 24/7 the pool would drop overnight and it wouldn’t be warm. It would likely take 1-2 days of running just to get it to temp and it would cost probably $10+ day to run

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.