Heat pump not turning on, pool temp on Pentair EasyTouch Control System incorrect (reads 111 F)

noraz123

Apr 24, 2023
Sacramento, CA
I bought a house last summer that came with an in-ground salt water pool. I know very little about pools, and until now, everything just worked. The pool has a heat pump (Pentair Ultratemp), which we used on a schedule last summer/fall and it worked well. We used the Pentair Screenlogic smartphone app to set the schedule.

I have a person that comes every week for pool maintenance, and will ask him as well, but looking to learn and maintain my own pool.

Just yesterday, I reactivated the schedule for the heat pump. However, it didn't seem to turn on and the temperature on the pool this morning is not any warmer. After investigating a bit more, I *think* I have a bad pool temperature sensor.

The Screenlogic app shows the pool temperature to be 110 F, see here
Screenshot_20230424-084844.png

The Pentair Easy Touch Control Panel shows the same (so app is correctly reading from the control panel), see here:
PXL_20230424_162320007.jpg

I am not sure if the heat pump has its own temperature reading, but the heat pump shows "SET = N/A ACT= 62F" - see here:
PXL_20230424_162131199.MP.jpg

I tried recalibrating the sensor using both the SLConfig App and with the Easy Control Panel itself. The app didn't seem to work, and the control panel wouldn't let me set the temperature any lower.

I am assuming it is a bad sensor (assume that means a bad thermistor) somewhere, but no idea where to even look for one.

Any tips, pointers, advice that will make me more knowledgeable is greatly appreciated.

@Jimrahbe and @DrewLG - thank you both very much.

It would seem this would be what I need to replace (which was on the PVC pipe as you had suggested).

20230424_120126.jpg

Reading the wiki (Temperature Sensors - Further Reading), it seems like a standard thermistor should work.

I will search YouTube, but any tips or suggestions for replacing? Do I need to replace the wiring to the control panel as well? I assume it is best practice, but it seems like this would be a super simple repair if I can just keep the same wire.

There is no connector at the thermistor end. You will have to run the wires back to the automation.

Obviously you take it out with the pump off, but even so, water is going to shoot out. Just have the new one ready to stick back it.

Over time the sensor end can crack and get larger, so it might take a little extra effort to pull the old one out.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:

There is no connector at the thermistor end. You will have to run the wires back to the automation.

Obviously you take it out with the pump off, be even so, water is going to shoot out. Just have the new one ready to stick back it.

Over time the sensor end can crack and get larger, so it might take a little extra effort to pull the old one out.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim - thanks. I just assumed that the wire came off at the thermistor end. Seems like I will have to run the wiring into the control panel (just watched a YouTube video on how to do that).

And thanks for the reminder to turn pump off! I think I will likely turn all power off to pump, heat pump, automation control panel, etc. at the circuit breaker and replace the sensor and run the wiring.

Thank you again for all the help. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.