Heat pump install questions

monkeysocks

Bronze Supporter
Mar 10, 2018
Loveland, CO
Hi all!

Could someone please give me a second set of eyes my heat pump install?

Ordered a Raypak R8450TI-E (140k BTU), a 3 way valve to divert flow away from heater when needed, and a cover.
Built a 36x36x4 concrete pad
Had an electrician wire in a 50 amp 220v breaker (moved from a hot tub that's long since gone, otherwise would've gone with 60 amp)

I have a VS pump so getting the right flow will be no problem.

Is there anything that I'm missing?

Thanks!
monkeysocks

Sounds like you are set. Let us know how the HP works in your area.

Update!

The heat pump arrived today. Had a few strong men help move it into position. Electric comes tomorrow. I need to go to Lowe's to get PVC to plumb it in, and bleach to open. Main issue now is finding bleach to open the pool.

IMG_20200324_162810.jpg

Was there any certain method or strategy you used to determine the amount of BTU’s you wanted in the heat pump purchase?

I went with the largest available as there was only a few hundred dollar difference between the largest and the smallest. I had what I thought was a 50 amp breaker close by in a junction box, which is enough for the largest heat pump, but, hit a snag yesterday. The junction box I thought had power was dead, so a new sub panel and conduit for #6 wire across the house, adding another $2k to the electrician costs.

I ordered liquid pool chlorine online which should arrive next week, if it does ship out.

• Sad
Reactions: PoolGate and JW1
I guess you have yet to figure out how to set the clock on the HP. :scratch:

I guess you have yet to figure out how to set the clock on the HP. :scratch:

I just powered it on to test if it would turn on for the first time, and it did so I was pretty stoked! I turned it off the breaker after as I won't be using it for another week :( after that, for sure, going to program it to shut off at night time as it still gets pretty chilly (32f) at night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Half opened the pool today, filled up the water and tested the heat pump and equipment but left the winter cover on until bleach arrives on Wednesday. Everything seems to be working as it should :) Water is chilly at 43, going to run the heat pump during the day as it still gets close to freezing at night.

The heat pump started running today when the ambient air hit 50f, and the water temp is now up to 51.4f. Humidity is 15%, so worst case scenario for a heat pump, but it's chugging along happily.

Looking forward to swimming during the next snow storm :)

24/7, if someone isn't swimming the pool is covered.

You will need to take off the cover and let your pool breathe and burn off the CC's in the sun's UV. Otherwise your pool will develop that chlorine smell.

The heat pump started running today when the ambient air hit 50f, and the water temp is now up to 51.4f. Humidity is 15%, so worst case scenario for a heat pump, but it's chugging along happily.

Looking forward to swimming during the next snow storm :)
Have you been running heat pump just during the day due to day/ night temperatures?

29 hours runtime on the unit and the pool is up to 76.1, up 33.1 degrees from 43. Most of the running time has been when it has been just a hair over 50. I'm pleased with its performance, even in this less than ideal weather.

Last edited:
That seems impressive to me during this time of year, but I admit I have limited knowledge, but I’m trying learn from other’s experiences. Are you able to keep the heat over the night without the heat pump running? Is oversizing your heat pump to the size of the pool a good thing?

That seems impressive to me during this time of year, but I admit I have limited knowledge, but I’m trying learn from other’s experiences. Are you able to keep the heat over the night without the heat pump running? Is oversizing your heat pump to the size of the pool a good thing?

I read from numerous sources to get the largest heater you can. I lose 3.1 degrees overnight with a solar cover in cold weather (graph below).

It's 73 outside now and gaining 2 degrees an hour, pools up to 79.

Here's how the weather has been for the 4 days I've been running the heat pump, still pretty darn chilly outside!
weather.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.