Heat pump - fan running, not heating

Jun 12, 2013
Buffalo, NY
Since I opened my pool this year our mostly trouble-free heat pump (Jandy AE2000T Air Energy 103k BTU HP) has been making me a little nervous because sometimes although the fan kicked on, it was obvious from the temp of the returns as well as my swg's thermometer that it wasn't heating. Turning it off, then back on, usually resolved the issue.

Yesterday and today, it's no longer heating. Fan is running, but there's no heating happening.

I have whole-house energy monitor, and when it's heating I see a sustained 8k watt draw. Now it barely registers, so just the fan is getting powered.

Any advice on possible troubleshooting? Who even repairs these units, an HVAC guy or a pool store guy (shudder)?

See if you can find an HVAC guy to check the refrigerant pressures.

Check the capacitor. I think that the Capacitor for the Compressor is 55 uF, 370 or 440 volts Jandy part number R3001201.

Look at the contactor to see if it looks burnt.

Don't do anything that you're not sure that you can do safely.

Last edited:
Check the capacitor. I think that the Capacitor for the Compressor is 55 uF, 370 or 440 volts Jandy part number R3001201.

Look at the contactor to see if it looks burnt.

Don't do anything that you're not sure that you can do safely.

You were right on about that capacitor. I called up my bro-in-law that knows a lot about hvac systems and he tested the cap (80 uF, big boy), even though it doesn't look bad it's only showing 9.5 when tested.

We first thought it was the contactor since it looks like a wire clean burned off of it. Replaced that with an identical contactor that was on the control board (not used, was there in case of aux heating for spa or something). Then when that didn't work he tested the cap and was like "yep that's it"

Getting a new cap from his work in a couple days. I'll report back here in case anyone is searching for info but he said 90% of the time it's a blown cap.

Thanks!!!

That's what it says on the cap itself. It's a lot bigger than the one in this link - I'll upload a picture of it tomorrow.
Are you sure about the uF rating?

The manual specifies a Jandy part number R3001201.

IMG_20200719_222330.jpg
Two caps.

80 mfd x 370v

The fan is 7.5 x 370

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.