Jul 5, 2017
Southern Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello all,

Disclaimer: I've searched. And searched. Lots of topics on pool heating, but I couldn't locate one that helped me nail down the monthly expense or discussed the Dept. of Energy cost estimates.

My wife and I are considering an in-ground steel pool on the order of 10 - 12k gallons. The monthly cost of maintaining pool temperature is a big consideration for us (like most...), as my wife prefers to swim in warm bath water. I have her talked down to the typical ~80 degree range but she'd really like it between 85 - 90F.

Either way, I found the operating expense estimates on the Department of Energy website and was pleasantly surprised at the low annual cost when used with a cover for our climate. For reference, we're in Southern Indiana so I used Chicago as the reference location. It seems to suggest that I could spend <$200/season total if I kept the pool open May - Sept and kept it below 82F. There are other assumptions around pool size, cover usage, energy cost (about right for where I live), etc.

https://energy.gov/energysaver/heat-pump-swimming-pool-heaters

I've read some horror stories on this site and from friends regarding pool heating expenses. If I was to set the heater permanently throughout the season and set it intelligently (run during the warm times of day, keep the temp down around 80) and religiously use a solar blanket, do you folks think I stand a reasonable chance of having my heating expenses in the same ballpark as the DOE estimates? Heck, I'd be happy spending twice the estimated amount ($400/season)... The pool will be located in pretty heavy sun from about 10AM until sunset.

Thanks!

Dan

Welcome to the forum!

Do you plan to have automation on your pool equipment? I ask because it will make it more practical to run things the most efficient.

When heating a pool, you only want the water circulating when the heater is ON. And when you have the heater ON you want it on continuously, not cycling.

So, with automation you might have it run in the AM long enough to heat the water to XX deg. Then off for XX time, then back on, etc.

You could also consider using a SWCG as it would create your chlorine when the pump is running.

Good luck --

Thanks for the great advice, Marty - automation is definitely in the plan. I knew that running the heat pump at certain times of the day was important due to ambient temps and the associated heat pump efficiency. I didn't know that circulation and heat pump operation should be tied together, that's interesting. What's the reason that you don't want to circulate pool water without the heat pump running?

Dan

Your lines run underground. They will not be insulated. So you will be cooling your warm pool water if it is circulating through your lines.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.