He!p me get through the season with out a algae bloom

mac1911

Bronze Supporter
Jul 31, 2019
plymouth
So i have been using the inexpensive upbove ground pools for 10yrs going larger as the kids grow.
Since I went to 12' (now 14') i cant get through a season with out a algae blow out. Constant cleaning , Ph good , and Clorine always checked and adding daily small doses , filter s changed every week or more frequently...then it happens late july you see the little puff of chlorine from the brush. Then no matter what we do it just gets worse

So 2020 looks like a heavy stay at home season and i do not want to have my pool season end early.

I have the T100 test kit
14x52 pool

Post your TF-100 water chemistry results and keep a log in PoolMath and share the logs.

What are the chemistry levels you maintain the water at?

Post your tests during the season and we will point out what is causing your problems.

Because the methods described on this site seem unorthodox, it would appear too good to be true. Thousands of us can attest that these methods will provide a water so clear yet easy to maintain. Study the Pool School articles on this site, and pay close attention to cya/fc relationship(it is the key to a clear algae free pool). Using this methodology you most likely will never have another algae bloom.

Reactions: mac1911
Because the methods described on this site seem unorthodox, it would appear too good to be true. Thousands of us can attest that these methods will provide a water so clear yet easy to maintain. Study the Pool School articles on this site, and pay close attention to cya/fc relationship(it is the key to a clear algae free pool). Using this methodology you most likely will never have another algae bloom.
i picked up the test kit T100 or 2600 I cant remeber at the moment mid season last year. Before I could get my bloom in check I had a major blow out of the liner.
Starting fresh soon, need to clear my spot a bit better to fit the 16 ' pool.

Last edited:
Ok so I am waiting on my pool pad to arrive , No local stores stocked them and they are weeks away so I ordered one off amazon to be here monday. My pad is set and level
image.jpg

I decided to try out the Taylor 2600 test kit on my tap water since thats my fill source.

Free Clorine/Combined
I had to stop this test i was scooping so much chem into the sample with no change I figured I would not have enough to test after pool is full.
FC 0
PH 7.0
TA 80ppm
CH 120ppm
CYA less than 30 - less than 30 as thats the mim on the test tube its as clear as can be so assume 0 ?

Last edited:
Is your water from a well or a municipal supply.

You don’t expect to see chlorine in well water and there is just a trace in municipal supplies.

CYA does not exist naturally in water. It should test 0.

Reactions: mac1911
Is your water from a well or a municipal supply.

You don’t expect to see chlorine in well water and there is just a trace in municipal supplies.

CYA does not exist naturally in water. It should test 0.
Municipal water supply- I figured as much with the chlorine is why I halted testing. As for the CYA I only put less than 30 as thats where the scale runs out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.