Hazy Pool

May 29, 2011
Harleton, Texas
Here are my specs:

32' Vinyl Pool, in ground. Roughly 30,000 gallons (with a 7 foot deep end). Sand filter 1.5 hp. We put the pool in at the end of May. Filter runs for 10-12 hours a day with a "Flower" fountain. We live in NE Texas and it's been a mild summer for us.

PH 7.6
Chlorine - 2ppm
TA - 215
CYA - 100
Hardness - 140
Water temp -85

I use 5 quick release chlorine tabs daily. I shocked (6lbs) on the 25th and then started clarifier (clear blue I think is the brand) 6 oz two days in a row, and then backwashed each day. This was done by recommendation of the pool company. I could go back there, but thought I'd ask here since that didn't work. My pool is still hazy! What am I missing?

Thanks!

Danielle

Hello Danielle!

How are you doing your testing? Are those results from your own test kit?

Your CYA is too high, most likely from the use of solid forms of chlorine (tabs, powder, etc)

You will need to do a dilute CYA test -- see Step 8 Pool School - CYA

Once we know how high your CYA is, we will need to discuss how much water you need to drain and refill. Then once your CYA is under control, you will need to SLAM.

Please fill out a signature -- Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Take care.

As you might know pool store tests are not trusted on this forum. You really need to do your own water chemistry tests.

I suggest you get a proper test kit. I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net. Best value test kit for residential pool owners.

Once you get your test kit, run a full suite of tests (and do the diluted CYA test as discussed previously) and post the results. We can then help you develop a plan to clear your water and have a TFP pool!

In the mean time, use your tester to keep at least 8 ppm FC in the pool at all times using liquid chlorine/bleach. Remove the solid chlorine tablets as soon as possible.

Take care.

Ok, I haven't used bleach in a long time. If I am reading the pool calculator (on this site) correctly. To go from 2 FC to 8 FC I need to add 271 oz of 8.25% bleach to my pool. Is this correct? Will I need to add this daily? Does the bleach last longer versus the quick dissolve tabs the pool store sold me? I've ordered the TF-100. I'm pretty sure this is the kit I had before when we lived in our old house with our Intex pool. Seems silly but I'm not sure why I didn't just buy one when we put the pool in in May. Thank you for your help.

That is the correct amount. That will be daily -- until you get the test kit and determine how to manage your CYA if it is too high.

To keep this from happening again you need to make a decision on how you chlorinate, the solid forms add either CYA or Calcium. Neither of those do you want too much of.
The recommended way to chlorinate a pool is either with liquid chlorine/bleach each day, a Stenner pump that doses liquid chlorine each day, or a Salt Water Chlorine Generator.

Let us know your test results when you get your kit.

Take care.

The pool is safe to swim in when you can see the bottom, FC is at or below shock level for your CYA, and pH is between 7.2 and 7.8.

As Afton says -- we do not really know what your CYA is - but it is most likely above 30 ppm (since the pool store said 100) so your pool water is safe for them to swim in.

Take care.

- - - Updated - - -

Danielle - please fill out a signature -- see Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

It helps us help you without asking questions about your pool, equipment, etc every time.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You must login via a computer (not mobile) and be sure the check box in the lower left of the Reply box is checked. I believe that once you do that, it will show whether you are on a computer or mobile.

I have never used mobile for a forum -- so just going by what I have heard!!

Ok! My test kit arrived today! We received about 3 inches of rain today and two more days of RAIN! This is going to be FUN!

FC: 4ppm
CC: 0
TC: 4ppm
CH: 200
TA 230
pH 8.2
CYA 100
Temp 84

Pool is still hazy and "Green" in the deep end. I have been using bottled bleach, 272 gallons each day (Except today since my kit arrived) to chlorinate. Where do I start? I know I will need to SLAM but that will be hard the next few days until the rains pass. BOO!

Rain has little effect on water chemistry other than the aeration effect that raises pH.

Did you do a dilute CYA test - see Step 8 - Pool School - CYA

Once you do that. You need to start doing drain / refills to drop your CYA to 40 or so. As you have vinyl liner pool, you can only drain to the point of leaving 1' of water in the shallow end. This will probably take two cycles of drain / refills, at least.

Take care.

Add acid to get to pH of 7.2 and then pour it in tonight! Aim for FC of 20. Test and dose tomorrow as often as you can.

Take care.

Thank you for all the help and suggestions! It took about a week of slamming and brushing the pool but today, I am happy to report we have a crystal clear pool and chemicals are balanced! Woohoo! That's a lot of hard work and I had to buy a TON of bleach, but I learned a lot. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.