Hayward VSP pump issue

Modnar

Jul 26, 2022
Central Florida
Hi all, noob here.

I had an issue with my Omnilogic LCD screen and ended up having to replace the power supply and the LCD screen. Changing out the screen required registering a new MSP ID. I did all that, upgraded the firmware, and installed my configuration file. After all this I was able to run some features of the pool, but not the main pump. I got on the phone with Hayward technical support and they told me to do a factory reset and reconfigure the pool. When I went to add my Hayward VSP pump, it wasn't listed. No HUA. I went and looked at the pump and it says that the comm buss is offline. I did a power cycle and have the same issue.

Is my pump bad?

Welcome to TFP.

Turn off the pump and leave it off for 30 minutes even though Hayward says it only needs 15 minutes for the drive to reset.

Hayward has seen some instances where the HUA from a Gen 3 VS pump was not visible to the Omni control.

These instances have occurred after:
  • A power brownout
  • The pump was installed with incorrect dipswitch position and the dipswitch was moved while power to the pump was still on.

Once Power was restored, or the pump powered down and back up the HUA would not populate into the control.

Solution that Hayward found is that power needs to be turned off to the pump for a MINIMUM of 5 minutes and as much as 15 minutes to allow the drive to reset. Once power is restored the HUA was visible to the Omni and the pump worked normally.

See item 6 in...

Welcome to TFP.

Turn off the pump and leave it off for 30 minutes even though Hayward says it only needs 15 minutes for the drive to reset.

Hayward has seen some instances where the HUA from a Gen 3 VS pump was not visible to the Omni control.

These instances have occurred after:
  • A power brownout
  • The pump was installed with incorrect dipswitch position and the dipswitch was moved while power to the pump was still on.

Once Power was restored, or the pump powered down and back up the HUA would not populate into the control.

Solution that Hayward found is that power needs to be turned off to the pump for a MINIMUM of 5 minutes and as much as 15 minutes to allow the drive to reset. Once power is restored the HUA was visible to the Omni and the pump worked normally.

See item 6 in...

Thank you for this information. I turned the unit off for 1/2 hour and restarted. I'm still not getting the HUA to come up on the OmniLogic.

At this point I'm assuming that whatever caused the failure of the power supply and the LCD screen also damaged the pump.

Is there any way to determine if the pump is faulty?

Call Hayward support as they know they have a problem with the HUA appearing.

Did the Omni power supply and screen fail due to a storm? If so then it may have taken out things in the pump.

Only thing you can check is that the Comm cable between the pump and Omni is properly connected.

If your pump has the digital control interface (located at pump), you can disconnect the cable from the Omnilogic (at the pump) and connect the control interface to the pump and run in "stand alone" mode. I did this and it works great. I was also able to configure my schedules at the pump.VSP digital control interface.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.