Hayward VS Pump RS485 Communication

Camaro4life18

Mar 4, 2022
Indiana
Hey, I have found this subject on the interwebs in a few different place...

Links deleted by Jim R. (New poster)

However I haven't been able to find anywhere where someone was able to break down the communication protocol between the drive control module and the controller itself. I have been able to identify a couple more pieces of information than what was posted on the above sites, which I will describe below, and also summarize what I have found from those sites.

For reference, I have the Super Pump VS 700.

Doing my own sniffing of the RS485, I got basically the same data as previously posted.
The command strings I can tell you how it breaks down..
01 01 58 02 C1 0D 0A
01 = Address of the device
01 = Command
58 02 = INT16 Little Endian. For the non-programmers little endian means the significant byte comes last, so you have to flip the bytes to get 02 58. Convert that hex value to decimal and you 600...which is the RPM value
C1 = Checksum, this is used for error detection in the byte string
0D = Carriage Return
0A = End of Line

The last 2 bytes are pretty standard in most communication, to let the device know to stop reading and process the previous bytes.
What I am stuck on, is how is the checksum generated? I can't figure out what algorithm is used.

I did notice on one of the previously posted sites they sniffed this string for the same RPM.
01 01 58 22 21 0D 0A
Notice it has 58 22, where the extra 2 in 22 seems to be ignored. I tested my newer pump, and it accepts both strings to set the same RPM. There are several other strings with the same issue in the 600-900 RPM range.
01 01 58 02 C1 0D 0A01 01 58 22 21 0D 0A
01 01 71 02 D2 0D 0A01 01 71 22 32 0D 0A
01 01 8A 02 51 0D 0A01 01 8A 22 B1 0D 0A
01 01 A3 02 42 0D 0A01 01 A3 22 A2 0D 0A
01 01 BC 02 D6 0D 0A01 01 BC 22 36 0D 0A
01 01 D5 02 9E 0D 0A01 01 D5 22 7E 0D 0A
01 01 EE 02 F0 0D 0A01 01 EE 22 10 0D 0A

There does seem to be a pattern, where the 2 changes to a 0, the checksum byte only changes the first digit. In all the checksums the 2nd digit remains the same. I feel like it may be significant, but I can't figure out why or how it matters.

Also, there is a reply message from the pump motor controller. When you send the above message you will get this type of reply:
01 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 17 00 00 00 57 02 c7 0d 0a

I have no idea what this part of the string is...01 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 17 00 00 00
But the 57 02 is what I believe to be the actual RPM. Convert that number the same way as mentioned above and you get 599. So its responding with the actual RPM the motor is turning. Sniff it for awhile and you will see 599,598,600,601, etc.

There is also 1 other command I have sniffed which looks like this...
01 07 06 4C 0D 0A
The command value changes, so I don't really know what the 06 means, but the 4c is probably another check digit followed by the standard 0D 0A.
What is important is this command remains constant no matter what RPM you set the control module to. I believe it is just a request for the Watt usage. Because the response from the pump is like this....
01 60 82 01 03 00 23 00 17 00 17 00 2c 00 00 5d 0d 0a ....Response at 650 RPM, Watt usage on screen was 35
01 60 82 01 04 00 25 00 18 00 18 00 30 00 00 80 0d 0a ....Response at 850 RPM, Watt usage on screen was 37

Notice the 7th byte in the first string is 23, which converted to decimal is 35. 2nd string is 25 which is 37 in decimal.

What the rest of all that means is a mystery.

If anyone has any ideas about some of the other bytes, or can figure out how the checksum is calculated, I would greatly appreciate it.

For anyone wanting to understand how I started sniffing this data, here are some pictures.
This is the back of the display module that sends RPM values, and requests data from the motor controller. The red wire is 12v power to the display, yellow and black are the communication wires, and green is the common. I believe the Wall Mount connection is the same as the display connection, just a different connector for a longer run wire to remotely mount the display.
PXL_20230213_150713767.jpg

Here is the motor side controller, the wires coming in are from the display module, plus the wires I've added which go to my RS485 to USB adapter on my PC to sniff the packets. I don't see any other communication connections.
PXL_20230218_143619028.jpg

Last edited:
While not the Hayward protocol here is a document that describes the native Modbus commands that are used by Century / Regal Vgreen motors, and are probably very close to the same format as the Hayward commands in the way of content.

You may find this document helpful?

The addressing will be Hayward specific and they probably use different checksum calculation methods, but the motor commands "set demand", "execute (go)" , "stop" and "status" will likely carry the same information.

All the motors for the big 3 supplier pumps are made by Century / Regal / Regal Rexnard, these are all the same company, they just keep changing their name due to mergers and such.

Actually, why are you communicating at that layer for a Hayward 950? njsPC supports that pump protocol but from the controller board. I don't know that I would inject anything into that stream.
Well, I'm not actually using a 950, I'll update my original post to show that. I'm using a Super Pump VS 700. From what I can see, the RS485 is the only connection I can tap into, besides the relay controls. I'll post pictures in my OP. I'm all ears if I'm missing something where I can tap into another comm port.

While not the Hayward protocol here is a document that describes the native Modbus commands that are used by Century / Regal Vgreen motors, and are probably very close to the same format as the Hayward commands in the way of content.

You may find this document helpful?

The addressing will be Hayward specific and they probably use different checksum calculation methods, but the motor commands "set demand", "execute (go)" , "stop" and "status" will likely carry the same information.

All the motors for the big 3 supplier pumps are made by Century / Regal / Regal Rexnard, these are all the same company, they just keep changing their name due to mergers and such.
That's a nice document on their protocol, but it doesn't seem to match up with what I have found in my sniffed packets. They do show a checksum algorithm at the end of that document which is basically a sum of the bytes, plus a bit shift, plus an XOR of a constant. I tried plugging in the first 4 bytes of a known RPM value, and it doesn't match the known checksum.

Actually, why are you communicating at that layer for a Hayward 950? njsPC supports that pump protocol but from the controller board. I don't know that I would inject anything into that stream.
Well, after a bit, I understand your comment now. Honestly I didn't know njsPC existed. I started my project last year and found raspiPool...which hasn't been updated in a few years, so I wrote my own Java app.
Anywho, I spent some time and got njsPC loaded on a spare Pi I have, and read through this issue... Hayward TriStar VS900 Pump Support · Issue #393 · tagyoureit/nodejs-poolController

I was able to get njsPC to control my pump. So I understand the rabbit hole you pulled me out of, to stop getting into that level of motor control. At least I can confirm it works with a Hayward Super Pump VS 700.

Now I have to dive into getting my EZO ORP, pH, and Peristaltic pumps configured. I've found where the pumps get configured, but not quite sure about the ORP and pH. Plus I have DS18B20 temp sensors.
@rstrouse Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.