Hayward VS OMNI 950 Pump - CHECK SYSTEM Error

tank47

Bronze Supporter
Apr 28, 2019
NJ
I have a 3 year old Hayward VS OMNI 950 pool pump that stopped working this weekend and I'm still waiting on a call from support. I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has any tips. I'm getting a "CHECK SYSTEM Communication Failed - Check wiring between display and drive error". My OMNI automation is still powered and so is my pump, unfortunately the pump just doesn't respond to any automation commands. Anyone know if I can get it into a stand-alone or manual mode by disabling the automation somehow?

We had a short (2 mins) power outage over the weekend and I think that kicked it offline. I didn't notice anything until I shut it all down to clean out my filter the following day and when I turned everything back on the pump flashed that error message.

On a side note - does anyone recommend a specific surge protector for pool equipment? This is the 2nd time I've had to get support on this pump due to a power issue. I never thought to put one on initially and now I'm definitely going to. I've seen the Intermatic on Amazon and wondering if that's a good one to get if anyone has any feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_3283.jpeg
    IMG_3283.jpeg
    409.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3284.jpeg
    IMG_3284.jpeg
    548 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3285.jpeg
    IMG_3285.jpeg
    557.2 KB · Views: 16
Hayward has seen some instances where the HUA from a Gen 3 VS pump was not visible to the Omni control.

These instances have occurred after:

• A power brownout
  • The pump was installed with incorrect dipswitch position and the dipswitch was moved while power to the pump was still on.

Once Power was restored, or the pump powered down and back up the HUA would not populate into the control.

Solution that Hayward found is that power needs to be turned off to the pump for a MINIMUM of 5 minutes and as much as 15 minutes to allow the drive to reset. Once power is restored the HUA was visible to the Omni and the pump worked normally.

See 6 in https://www.totallyhayward.com/techservices/attachments/Technical Updates for Pool professionals July 2020.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks so much. I did power down and leave off for 15 mins and issue still is there. I’ll try that again though since I’m just waiting around anyway! I also do see the HUA for my pump on my Omni controller.

Thanks so much. I did power down and leave off for 15 mins and issue still is there. I’ll try that again though since I’m just waiting around anyway! I also do see the HUA for my pump on my Omni controller.

Ok, it was worth a try. The fact that it happened after a power glitch made me think of it.

Looks like a burn spot in the housing shelf right below where the gray and black wires go into the white connector. With the power completely off, check that area for a melted/bad connector or wiring.

Also, with power off, unplug/replug (a few times) both ends of the communications cable (at pump and at Omni Hub) - it's possible that the connections may have some corrosion on them preventing a solid connection.

Look for other areas that may appear burned. Check that the comm bus screws are tight and the comm cable wires are making good contact with the connectors.

Looks like a burn spot in the housing shelf right below where the gray and black wires go into the white connector. With the power completely off, check that area for a melted/bad connector or wiring.

Also, with power off, unplug/replug (a few times) both ends of the communications cable (at pump and at Omni Hub) - it's possible that the connections may have some corrosion on them preventing a solid connection.

Look for other areas that may appear burned. Check that the comm bus screws are tight and the comm cable wires are making good contact with the connectors.
That is a burn spot. Two years ago it was fried by a lightening storm and a Hayward tech was able to get it back online. I’ll double-check connections tomorrow and report back. Thanks!

Update - I ended up leaving it off overnight and then re-checking all connections. I don't know what fixed it but it powered on and it's working now. Feel kinda dumb that I didn't check those connections right away but lesson learned. Thanks for the suggestions!

Another update - error message came back and pump is currently not responding to any commands. I disconnected and re-connected the COMBUS wiring in both the pump and the omni hub and that didn't fix anything. So frustrating b/c I still have my warranty but Hayward support isn't very responsive and I don't seem to have great coverage in my of South Jersey. I reached out to my pool builder to see if they can pull any strings.

Anyone run into this "Check System Communication failed check wiring between display and drive" and know how to resolve it or know how to get warranty tech support from Hayward?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are still under warranty, push for Hayward to fix it. Use whatever resources you have - phone, email, pool builder, etc.

Well after being down for two weeks and calling every Hayward Authorized Service Center within a 50 mile radius I finally found one place that was willing to come out and they did a warranty replacement on my pump. Said the drive was shot. Glad it was taken care of but sure was painful to get any type of response from anyone. I was a weekend away from spending $2k on a new one! My lesson for anyone getting new pool put in is to ask your pool builder who handles any pool equipment warranty issues. Based on my experience it would be a huge advantage if your pool builder would also provide that warranty support. Mine did not, and everyone else was too busy to help someone that did not originally buy it from them, even if they were an authorized service place. Just too busy this time of year in my area. Also this doesn't make me feel great about the Hayward reliability if I had to replace a pump after 2.5 years of use in the NE when the pool is open 4.5-5 months! Shot out to Pool Patrol in Colts Neck as they saved the day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.