Hayward Variable speed pump just quit

Zebedee

Jun 30, 2023
Midwest
I have a

Hayward TriStar VS Variable Speed Pool Pump W3SP3202VSP​

I brought it last year but didnt install until last week. Ran fine for 6 days. Today I lowered pool through waste setting on Filter valve and drained pool for about 10 minutes on 2200 RPM.

Water was going down drain just fine. I went to panel to shut off pump and switch valve and there was a burning plastic smell. Breaker at pool area was tripped so was breaker in the house.

Reset both, and now nothing at the pump. the screen is blank. I have good voltage to the pump. Measure 122v on each line in and 244v across them both.

The smell seems strongest at the black cylinder both wires go into before disappearing into pump and maybe I see a little soot.

What is this piece?
Is it a fuse block of some kind?
Is it likely the "cause" of the issue or the result of another issue?
Can I simply replace this piece ?

IMG_2536.jpg

Thanks in advance

Jim

I believe that is an RF choke. It prevents the high frequency switching signals generated by the VFD from getting on to the mains line. It is a passive device and should not really fail. However, the wires are wrapped around it so they may have failed.

If the pump is still under warranty, I would file a claim.

That is an RF choke, it is a passive device. If you smell something from that it could be melted wire insulation from the wires inside it.

Can you post more pics of the pump interior components?

A little more investigation reveals.

No voltage gets past this block according to my passive tester.

The Hz on the 2 incoming power leads shows 60hz.

I cannot imagine what would cause this to fail. But showing voltage prior to the choke and no voltage afterwards shows that it has. I was hoping it was a fuse in there or something easily replaceable.

Also begs the question, what caused this to fail and does that part need to be replaced. Motor was running smoothly throughout the lowering of the pool.

Waiting for Hayward to email me back in a couple days. Don't even rate a phone call.

I don't want to tear apart anything else until I hear back from Hayward as I am sure they will blame something on me.

Any other input is much appreciated.

Jim

Reactions: mas985
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.