Hayward Tristar VS XE, Tristar VS, or Maxflow VS

kevreh

Bronze Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Annandale, VA
Trying to pick one of these variable speed pumps to pair with my Prologic controller. Hayward doesn't make it easy to compare features of their various VS pumps. Can someone please explain;

• The Tristar XE (Sp3207X10Xe) has a button on the pump to change the speed, can I control speeds with the Prologic?
  • Are all Tristars and Maxflows controllable with the Prologic, via the data cable? Using multiple relays is not the way to go.
  • Some models are available without the control interface, they have to be used with a Hayward controller. Bad idea to get one of these? Biggest issue is if I move away from the Prologic, but I'm happy with it.
Currently I have a .85 HP pump. I can either get a .85, 1.25 or 1.8 HP VS pump. Is there a benefit in terms of efficiency and longevity (and energy use) to get a higher HP pump and throttle the RPMS down?

My Prologic is Revision 4.3.

Thanks!

The Tristar XE looks like it's variable speed but it doesn't look like it has a regular drive.

I don't know if it's controllable by the automation. I can't find a manual.

Most pumps should be controllable, but you should make sure from Hayward or the manual.

4-TRISTAR-XE-3-4L-REAR.jpg

• Easily programmable with up to 6 selectable speeds
  • Easy-access control toggles between speeds at the touch of a button
  • Dual-voltage capability (230V/115V) for versatile installation

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.