Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
Hello all,

First, I did some digging and didn't find an answer to this question, so I apologize in advance if it was already asked/answered.

I live in the DFW area of Texas and do not close my pool for the winter. My old pump died it's final death this week (not even sure what it is since the label is obliterated, it looks like a Sta-rite though, I inherited it when I bought the house) and decided that it was time to upgrade to a variable speed pump. I currently use the Intermatic P1353 digital timer with freeze sensor to keep the pump running when temps drop near freezing. Been researching pumps and I'm thinking I'm going with a Hayward TriStar W3SP3206VSP. I already have a Hayward salt cell, so if I decide to go with Hayward automation down the line then at least my brands are already lined up. (Since it's just sitting there not circulating, I'm trying to move fast.)

In the manual for the pump I see it has a temperature sensor and freeze protection built in, but per the manual, "Low temperature operation is NOT intended to protect the pump, system plumbing, or pool from freezing." This immediately makes me nervous. Could just be a disclaimer, but I didn't see that kind of disclaimer in the documentation for my Intermatic timer when it's used with the temperature sensor for freeze protection.

If I decide to go with this (or a similar) pump, then it seems like I have three options:

1) Set the Intermatic to be on 24/7 but turn the salt cell on/off during normal operating times. Use the pump timer to control on/off times. Manually override when it's getting too cold. (Least favorable, would suck for times when I'm not home and it gets cold.)
2) Set the Intermatic to be on 24/7 but turn the salt cell on/off during normal operating times. Trust the pump's low temperature operating setting to turn the pump on when it's cold. (Should be fine, but the disclaimer text makes me nervous.)
3) Leave the Intermatic where it is and operate the pump same as the old one. Program the pump to operate 24/7 no matter what time of day, so when the Intermatic's freeze sensor kicks in the pump will run. (Proven to be effective in the past, even when we hit crazy cold temperatures in February 2021. No damage to my system.)

Option 2 seems like it should be fine, but I wanted to get some feedback from folks who operate this (or any other modern pump) with its own controller and how they handle low temperature situations, if it operates the same as a freeze sensor in the timer does. Option 3 should also be fine, however that means power is consistently being cut to the pump's controller, and I cannot find any documentation as to how long the Hayward will retain current time and settings with no power, meaning that programmed speeds wouldn't operate as intended.

Your new VS pump should have constant power. Do not use your Option 3.

Option 2 Put the electrical wires for the new VS pump on the hot side of the timer which is Line 1 and Line 2. The SWG power should remain on the load side of the timer. This is Load 1 and Load 2. The on/off of the SWCG will be controlled by the timer. The pump is run by its internal timer/controller and the SWG is set to come on during a period you know the pump will be running.

The freeze protection on the pump should be sufficient. If you are home, then just set the pump schedule to run 24 hrs and that removes any guessing.

I agree with Herman.

The best feature of variable speed pumps is that you can run them 24/7 for less than you can run a single speed for fractions of that same day.

Set your pump to run 24/7 at a lower rpm somewhere around 1200-1500rpm depending on what you need to get good skimming etc for your pool. Safe guess puts cost lower than $30 a month. My personal pool is about $18 a month to run at 1500rpm perpetually. Most of our clients pools are still usually less than $40 except we run basic 24/7 plus a lot of gratuitous features and cleaners on schedules at higher rpms throughout the day.

Let the freeze protect remain as a failsafe, not the first line of defense.

And as already suggested, use the timer to schedule your salt cell only.

I don’t understand why you need to schedule the SWG with a timer.

If you run the pump 24/7 then adjust the SWG % down and let it generate some chlorine all the time. Basically you build a chlorine reserve in the pool at night for daytime consumption.

Reactions: guyhalestorm
I appreciate everyone's advice! Will definitely move forward with option 2 and consider running the pump longer at a lower RPM. Ordered the pump and will install this weekend.

Reactions: HermanTX
Update - new pump is installed (after much cursing and redoing of PVC piping) and purring like a kitten. Running it at 1750 RPM for now, bummed it doesn't have a flow rate meter though. I know flow rate isn't that big of a deal, so long as the SWG is working, but should I worry about 0 PSI on the filter? At 1000 RPM it doesn't even twitch the needle, at 1750 it shows 2 PSI, which is why I left it there for now.

• Love
Reactions: bradgray
Filter pressure matters not on the low side. As long as the flow switch for the SWCG is happy and you are efficiently skimming the pool surface, run it at the lowest rpm you can achieve those results.

You can add an inline FlowVis meter to your system. There is also retro fit version the replaces the guts of a backflow check valve that makes installation easier without modifying plumbing

Update - new pump is installed (after much cursing and redoing of PVC piping) and purring like a kitten. Running it at 1750 RPM for now, bummed it doesn't have a flow rate meter though. I know flow rate isn't that big of a deal, so long as the SWG is working, but should I worry about 0 PSI on the filter? At 1000 RPM it doesn't even twitch the needle, at 1750 it shows 2 PSI, which is why I left it there for now.
When it comes time to clean the filter, your cartridges will thank you. They will clean much easier (its the cleaning process that causes most of the wear on a cartridge. NEVER use a pressure washer) and last much longer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When it comes time to clean the filter, your cartridges will thank you. They will clean much easier (its the cleaning process that causes most of the wear on a cartridge. NEVER use a pressure washer) and last much longer.
Awesome! Cleaning the DE filter panels is my least favorite chore. I just use my hose with a sprayer. Works fine.

Ah yeah, I didn't specify. I meant to, my bad.
Set up your signature so all your pool info, equipment and test kit is listed. it will help us help you when you have questions.
Create Your Signature to help us understand what your current setup is

The forum is manned by volunteers that answers questions and provide guidance. Keeping the website highly functional with the latest technology is key to making the forum workable and enjoyable. Please consider and Become a TFP Supporter

Reactions: guyhalestorm
Set up your signature so all your pool info, equipment and test kit is listed. it will help us help you when you have questions.
Create Your Signature to help us understand what your current setup is

The forum is manned by volunteers that answers questions and provide guidance. Keeping the website highly functional with the latest technology is key to making the forum workable and enjoyable. Please consider and Become a TFP Supporter

Thank you for that, profile and signature updated, and a donation to the site seemed awfully appropriate for the help I received. :giggle:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.