Hayward Tigershark Impeller Won't Stop Spinning

Spidey9000

May 19, 2020
Long Island
I've had my Tigershark 10 years. This weekend I threw the vacuum in and the impeller won't stop even after the Tigershark hits bottom. This was not its first run this year. I ran it four or five times before this since opening the pool. I've already looked for any debris that was stuck and tried unplugging it and plugging it back in. Any suggestions on what to do are much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Spidey!

I'm actually having a similar issue. When I turn it on, it will run through the test cycle. It will spin the impeller and move the tracks. After about 30 seconds, only the impeller will spin and the unit won't move.

Sorry I dont have an answer but hopefully someone will be able to help us.

Hi Spidey!

I'm actually having a similar issue. When I turn it on, it will run through the test cycle. It will spin the impeller and move the tracks. After about 30 seconds, only the impeller will spin and the unit won't move.

Sorry I dont have an answer but hopefully someone will be able to help us.

I tried it again last night after leaving it unplugged for a day. Tracks engaged and it worked for awhile but then went out this morning to find out it sitting at the bottom of the pool with the impeller running. It didn't even shut off like it should after running.

I tried it again last night after leaving it unplugged for a day. Tracks engaged and it worked for awhile but then went out this morning to find out it sitting at the bottom of the pool with the impeller running. It didn't even shut off like it should after running.

I have a tiger shark that was gifted to me when I bought my house. It is from the 1980s! I've managed to rebuild parts of it as they failed.

Here's the big question for you. How cold is your water? I cleaned up my pool when I opened it and dropped my Tiger Shark in it. The shark started to move and then it just sort of sat in one place.

My wife suggested.... it might be too cold (it honestly was 9C.... um you guys use 48F... so ) here in Toronto. My new heater isn't installed yet.

Hogwash I thought.

And then... after checking some old manuals... I found that it indeed has an ideal operating temperature.

From the manual

50ºF - 100ºF

Optimum operating water temperature range for the TigerShark is 50ºF - 100ºF. Water temperatures outside of this range do not drastically inhibit the operation of the pool cleaner.

Now I know it says "do not drastically inhibit"....

But on YouTube... I found this. I've put it right at the spot you should watch.

and that is from the actual Hayward website.

So is your water ccccccc cold?

Ur From Long Island... my guess is yes...(I'm from Toronto.... not too hot here yet!)

My pool water is 60 degrees right now. I tried to run it today and it ran for a 1/2 hour before it stopped climbing the walls. Once the filters start to get dirty, it loses suction. I have new filters on order so hopefully that fixes it. I have no idea how old the filters are as I found my tigershark during our neighborhood spring clean up. Someone threw it out along with the power supply. I still can't believe it even runs.

On mine, I changed the actual rollers (the ball bearings came out). I changed the rubber roller webbing material. I changed the rubber gear tracking on both sides. I also changed the main drive pully. I also changed the filters. I just take them out and spray them with the hose to clean them.

I will be trying mine again once my heater gets installed.

Good luck. Let me know if the filters were the problem. Check the teeth on the drive track to make sure there are none missing.

My pool water is 60 degrees right now. I tried to run it today and it ran for a 1/2 hour before it stopped climbing the walls. Once the filters start to get dirty, it loses suction. I have new filters on order so hopefully that fixes it. I have no idea how old the filters are as I found my tigershark during our neighborhood spring clean up. Someone threw it out along with the power supply. I still can't believe it even runs.

On mine, I changed the actual rollers (the ball bearings came out). I changed the rubber roller webbing material. I changed the rubber gear tracking on both sides. I also changed the main drive pully. I also changed the filters. I just take them out and spray them with the hose to clean them.

I will be trying mine again once my heater gets installed.

Good luck. Let me know if the filters were the problem. Check the teeth on the drive track to make sure there are none missing.

Thank you! I took the sides off to inspect everything and noticed a crack in one of the rubber tracks. All of the rollers seemed to spin freely. I put it back in my pool today and now there is dirt coming out of the impeller. The filters look pretty beat so I'm sure thats a part of it. I will keep you guys posted when I get the new filters.

Seems I jinxed myself by typing in the thread....lol... mine also seemed to be struggling in warm water today (heater was finally installed).

I decided to take it apart....which is painful...I have big hands. I found a large twig hidden under the plastic casing and it was jamming the belt. I cleaned it out tried it in the pool.

The impeller sinks it to the bottom... and then, it doesn't move.

I think the twig burnt out the motor.

sigh.....

I have a tiger shark that was gifted to me when I bought my house. It is from the 1980s! I've managed to rebuild parts of it as they failed.

Here's the big question for you. How cold is your water? I cleaned up my pool when I opened it and dropped my Tiger Shark in it. The shark started to move and then it just sort of sat in one place.

My wife suggested.... it might be too cold (it honestly was 9C.... um you guys use 48F... so ) here in Toronto. My new heater isn't installed yet.

Hogwash I thought.

And then... after checking some old manuals... I found that it indeed has an ideal operating temperature.

From the manual

50ºF - 100ºF

Optimum operating water temperature range for the TigerShark is 50ºF - 100ºF. Water temperatures outside of this range do not drastically inhibit the operation of the pool cleaner.

Now I know it says "do not drastically inhibit"....

But on YouTube... I found this. I've put it right at the spot you should watch.

and that is from the actual Hayward website.

So is your water ccccccc cold?

Ur From Long Island... my guess is yes...(I'm from Toronto.... not too hot here yet!)

The water temp has hovered between 60ºF to 65ºF so I don't think that is the issue. I'm going to attempt to take the whole thing apart tomorrow. My wife is starting to get antsy about buying a new one now so I need to fix it soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

It'll stop climbing the walls once it gets weighted down and fills with debris, especially this time of year. You need to take out the filters and hose them off after every run, even sooner if you have a bunch of silt in the pool from the winter. The first few runs of the year I typically take the vacuum out and clean the filters after an hour. Just until there's no more silt in the pool then I just clean them after the vacuum shut off on its own. I've also found brushing the pool walls after you first open the pool helps because they are usually slick with algae even if you can't see it.

That sucks! You don't think it's worth replacing the motor?

Thank you for the condolences..... I thought about replacing the motor. I'm handy like that. There are other variables that could come into play. Is it the electrical cord? Is it the transformer box? Or is it just the motor?

I spent so much money on new equipment to refurbish it the last few years, part of me thinks I should go out and buy a new one and have the old one as a back up for spare parts?

What do to...what to do....

Thank you for the condolences..... I thought about replacing the motor. I'm handy like that. There are other variables that could come into play. Is it the electrical cord? Is it the transformer box? Or is it just the motor?

I spent so much money on new equipment to refurbish it the last few years, part of me thinks I should go out and buy a new one and have the old one as a back up for spare parts?

What do to...what to do....

Are the new ones much different? From what I've read they are pretty much the same. Although if I ever do ever decide to get a new one, it would be one I can also control with a remote to get those missed spots before parties. We have a Grecian shaped pool and it misses spots in the shallow end often. Those angled walls seem to always send it back towards the deep end.

Sorry hear to about your robot. My new filters came in and it climbs the walls now. Those old filters were super old and dirty. Even after cleaning them they were still brown. Unfortunately it stopped again after 15 minutes. It stopped and just kept spinning the impeller. From what I'm reading it sounds like it is the motor that needs to be replaced. Considering I found mine on the side of the road, I'm not too broken up about having to buy a new motor. Totally worth it to replace it.

Sorry hear to about your robot. My new filters came in and it climbs the walls now. Those old filters were super old and dirty. Even after cleaning them they were still brown. Unfortunately it stopped again after 15 minutes. It stopped and just kept spinning the impeller. From what I'm reading it sounds like it is the motor that needs to be replaced. Im not sure how old mine is but it's not labeled as a Hayward. It's labeled as an AquaVac. So it wouldn't surprise me if my motor is going after 15 or more years of use. Considering I found mine on the side of the road, I'm not too broken up about having to buy a new motor. Totally worth it to replace it.

Another question, my tiger shark makes a lot of clicking noises coming from the drive belts. Is that normal? I know that one of the drive belts is really worn out and has a crack in it.

How will I know when the bearings be replaced? I took mine apart and all the bearings spun freely so they appear to be ok.

Another question, my tiger shark makes a lot of clicking noises coming from the drive belts. Is that normal? I know that one of the drive belts is really worn out and has a crack in it.
You should replace both belts.
How will I know when the bearings be replaced?
When you start finding small ball bearings in the basket.
I took mine apart and all the bearings spun freely so they appear to be ok.
The cracked belt will start to put some side loading on some of the bearings and eventually the will fail. The ball bearings are held in place by a plastic retainers which will eventually will wear out and spew the ball bearings.
Hayward acquired AquaVac in 2007. I got my AquaVac Tiger Shark with my new pool in 2006 and retired it back a couple of years ago when I bought my Maytronics Active 30i.

You should replace both belts.
When you start finding small ball bearings in the basket.
The cracked belt will start to put some side loading on some of the bearings and eventually the will fail. The ball bearings are held in place by a plastic retainers which will eventually will wear out and spew the ball bearings.
Hayward acquired AquaVac in 2007. I got my AquaVac Tiger Shark with my new pool in 2006 and retired it back a couple of years ago when I bought my Maytronics Active 30i.
Thanks for the info! I'll replace the belts. I ran it today and it kept flipping when it tried to climb the walls. It climbed the walls for the first 5 minutes and then stopped after that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.