Hayward Tiger Shark No Longer Climbing Walls

Spidey9000

May 19, 2020
Long Island
My Tiger Shark is 14 years old now and I've replaced most of it as if it was the Six Million Dollar Man but it's rarely climbing the walls now. It'll often keep bumping the wall trying to climb it until it gives up and moves on. I do see a lot of slippage when it's climbing the incline to the shallow end as well. I have a vinyl liner. The drive brushes look fine but those are the one part I haven't replaced yet. Will buying new brushes resolve the issue? And should I switch to the foam brushes?

Hi Spidey .. Yea mine did that, check to see the nothing is caught in the impeller, try running it without the venturi, beyond that the only thing that solved this issue was replacing the drive motor. Or yea, just buying a new one.

Hi Spidey .. Yea mine did that, check to see the nothing is caught in the impeller, try running it without the venturi, beyond that the only thing that solved this issue was replacing the drive motor. Or yea, just buying a new one.

I replaced the motor last year. That's not the issue. It's moves along the bottom of the pool just fine. It's climbing the walls that is the issue now. It works sometimes and others it just keeps banging against the wall over and over like it can't gain traction. The drive brushes look fine but they are 14 years old. I was wondering if switching to the foam brushes would help gain better traction to make that transition and climb up the wall.

I doubt it is traction. . . . Well, not in the way you are thinking. *IF* this works the way most cleaners work, the impeller provides the "push" against the wall giving it traction you are seeking. Also, I would believe that there are two motors. One for the brushes, and one to drive the impeller. Which did you replace?

Oftentimes, mine gets hair wrapped around the impeller, causing it to impede the speed of the impeller -- simply removing the impeller and removing the obstruction does the trick most of the time. The last issue I experienced with my Dolphin s200 (Doheney's Discovery) was exactly like you are describing -- it wouldn't climb the wall.

The impeller motor was weak. However, the impeller was free of hair and other obstructiosn. Took the impeller motor apart to find both (electrical motor) brushes were worn. One almost completely gone. Ordered new brushes for very cheap. "Rebuild" wasn't easy, but it wasn't terribly difficult either. What did I have to lose if I screwed it up? But, not having to spend $800 to $1,000 was worth the effort. Of course, I enjoy such things.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.