Hayward T-Cell 15 Warranty Replacement with GLX-Cell-15-W

Jun 1, 2018
Broken Arrow, OK
Hello, I'm sure this has been addressed but could not find a specific post in the forum. I have struggled with chlorine in the pool for weeks and tried everything but cell replacement. My pool company agrees there may be an issue and says I have to replace it with a GLX-Cell-15-W. The replacement cell only has a one year warranty. That makes me nervous for obvious reasons. Why the different name on the cell and why did I just loose 2 years of warranty (T Cell 15 Warranty is three years)? I've only had the first cell for 6 months. I've maintained almost perfect water chemistry and there was no buildup on cell or any obvious reason for it to fail. Anyone know the difference in these cells and why the difference in warranty? Should I insist it be replaced with a T-Cell 15?

The 1 year "warranty" cell is standard for a warranty replacement cell.

Why do you think that the cell is bad?

What is the actual salinity and what is the instant salinity as reported by the display?

The 1 year "warranty" cell is standard for a warranty replacement cell.

Why do you think that the cell is bad?

What is the actual salinity and what is the instant salinity as reported by the display?
Have not checked today but yesterday is was 3600 and instant was 3500. I drained a little and added fresh water last night to get instant down to 3200. My salt has risen daily as I've added liquid chlorine. Its been a struggle bringing down salt every 3-4 days. Reason we think its bad is it does not seem to maintain chlorine in the pool even though its set at 100% 24/7. Most of the summer I've ran it at 30% for ten hours and never had a Cl issue. I've performed a SLAM to make sure there are no organics consuming CL and have less than 1 ppm overnight loss at this point. I think there was a problem with organics even though I could not see anything, perhaps because cell let levels drop before I started manually dosing. But definitely no organics/algae at this point and still having to manually dose. Thats why we are thinking its the cell.

The cells should be identical.

The reason for the 1 year warranty is that, in most cases, you have already received a year or two from the cell. So, you should not get another full three years.

If you can establish that the cell was defective from installation, I would argue for a 3 year warranty cell.

Why do you think that the cell is defective?

Divide the instant salinity by the actual salinity and if the result is at least 88%, I would consider the cell to be good.

I never knew that was a way to tell. Good information. Its been as much as 300 ppm difference from time to time but i didnt check that regularly as i usually kept my salt levels stable.

Again, just assuming the cell was not producing because at 100 percent all day and night it was not able to maintain even 1 ppm. Typically it was able to maintain 3 to 5 ppm at 30 percent. We made sure it wasnt a water quality issue in every way possible so we are thinking try a new cell and see if that was the issue. There is really no sure way to tell that ive been told.

Have not checked today but yesterday is was 3600 and instant was 3500. I drained a little and added fresh water last night to get instant down to 3200. My salt has risen daily as I've added liquid chlorine. Its been a struggle bringing down salt every 3-4 days. Reason we think its bad is it does not seem to maintain chlorine in the pool even though its set at 100% 24/7. Most of the summer I've ran it at 30% for ten hours and never had a Cl issue. I've performed a SLAM to make sure there are no organics consuming CL and have less than 1 ppm overnight loss at this point. I think there was a problem with organics even though I could not see anything, perhaps because cell let levels drop before I started manually dosing. But definitely no organics/algae at this point and still having to manually dose. Thats why we are thinking its the cell.

Are you getting the salt readings from your controller or from a water test. Reason I ask is that is one of the first indications my cell was going bad, I started trying to make adjustments to my salt based on the controller readings. If the cell is acting up it sends inaccurate information to the controller so the salt reading in turn is not entirely accurate. I would test the salt with a separate water test to make sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.