Hayward T-3 working but still reads low PPM, why?

WarrenTC

Aug 12, 2023
Rancho Mirage CA
24 month old Hayward t-3 cell produces chlorine ( bucket test bubbles a lot and strong chlorine smell) with test kit showing 3,000ppm but system instant salt reading reads salt level 1700. Power is ok, +/- 28v and 1.78 to 2.8 amps.
Ph, cya are balanced.
Any ideas on why this is happening

Usually, it is one of two reasons:

1) Dirty cell. Remove cell and inspect for calcium deposits. If dirty, clean. I use bamboo skewers to remove calcium deposits rather than soaking in acid. But if that doesn't work, it make need a soak. I use 1:4 14% acid:water ratio for soaking but only when absolutely necessary.

2) Failing cell. As SWG cells ages, it degrades and the salt level reads lower than it actually is due to lower current. Many pools stores can test cells to see if they are working properly or not.

The cell is only 24 months old but if you have running it near 100% for those 24 months, then it could still be failing.

What is the average percent setting you use and what is the pump run time?

How big is your pool?

Side note: it would be helpful if you had a signature with all of your equipment:

Reactions: Mdragger88
Usually, it is one of two reasons:

1) Dirty cell. Remove cell and inspect for calcium deposits. If dirty, clean. I use bamboo skewers to remove calcium deposits rather than soaking in acid. But if that doesn't work, it make need a soak. I use 1:4 14% acid:water ratio for soaking but only when absolutely necessary.

2) Failing cell. As SWG cells ages, it degrades and the salt level reads lower than it actually is due to lower current. Many pools stores can test cells to see if they are working properly or not.

The cell is only 24 months old but if you have running it near 100% for those 24 months, then it could still be failing.

What is the average percent setting you use and what is the pump run time?

How big is your pool?

Side note: it would be helpful if you had a signature with all of your equipment:

Hi, thank you for the feed back. & I just added my pool info to my signature :)
Cell use Ave 60% in winter 80% in Summer. 15,000 gallon but T-3 has worked problem free until now.
I just received a new T-3 cell from Hayward so I will put that in tomorrow which will likely fix it. I’ll post an update in a few days.

My feeling is that Hayward hard calibrated the PL-plus to show low salt and shut down the cell well before the T-3 has any significant reduction in actual chlorine production so that we need to buy a cell long before we truly need to.
BTW I started years ago with T-15s and they had the same problem after 2 years. Warranty guy replaced it twice ( with a “warranty T-15 cell” that was BS those lasted 1 month. I then purchased this T-3 direct from Hayward and all worked great until now 2 years later 🙄
I am also thinking of replace 12” of the 2” pipe after the Cell with clear pipe so I can see if it is producing in line.

Hi, thank you for the feed back. & I just added my pool info to my signature :)
Cell use Ave 60% in winter 80% in Summer. 15,000 gallon but T-3 has worked problem free until now.
I just received a new T-3 cell from Hayward so I will put that in tomorrow which will likely fix it. I’ll post an update in a few days.

My feeling is that Hayward hard calibrated the PL-plus to show low salt and shut down the cell well before the T-3 has any significant reduction in actual chlorine production so that we need to buy a cell long before we truly need to.
BTW I started years ago with T-15s and they had the same problem after 2 years. Warranty guy replaced it twice ( with a “warranty T-15 cell” that was BS those lasted 1 month. I then purchased this T-3 direct from Hayward and all worked great until now 2 years later 🙄
I am also thinking of replace 12” of the 2” pipe after the Cell with clear pipe so I can see if it is producing in line.
Opps, I checked the cell 2 weeks ago and it was clean, did a little 1:4 Acid for 10 minutes and very litttle bubbles or foaming