SE Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
In May 2015 I bought a Hayward T-15 cell for $398 (Amazon). I expect this season or next season I may need to buy a new one, so I checked current prices. I was shocked to see the price has increased to $600! I know generics are cheaper, but I prefer not to go that route if possible.

I’ve never checked, but do prices fluctuate a bit depending on time of year?

My last cell lasted about 7 seasons, so hopefully I’ll get at least that much from my current cell.

I believe the plates in a SWG are coated with a rare earth that has become more in demand for electric car batteries. That has caused prices to go up.

The SWG cell consist of titanium metal plates coated with a layer of mixed metal oxide catalyst (ruthenium monoxide and iridium).

In 2015 iridium was $523/oz and in 2019 iridium was $970/oz.

Last edited:
As Allen points out rare earths are more expensive but I don't really think they justifiy the huge price increases. They are only a very tiny % in the titanium plate catalytic coating. Hayward makes great swg equipment as validated with your cell's performance. But at that price I'd have to go with a generic that has a great warranty for DIY.

Chris

I remember reading this post a while back...

I thought it was a doubling in the iridium price. It is one of those or both that is driving the cost up over the last few years.

If I was using bleach, and my nose had itched even once about getting a SWG, I would have bought one already this year.

Our T-15 was installed in 2013 and fired up today for the first time this year in MD. Year 8. Probably shouldn't have posted this.

Reactions: Neemer
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.