Hayward Superpump VS is screaming

BeckyL

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 19, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Hello everyone,

3.5 years old. I did replace the shaft seal and it's still making the same noise. It primes fine, doesn't leak just loud. I'm guessing it's the bearings :-(. There was a flying ant nest inside the seal plate, which I'm guessing did some damage?

How do I go about searching for a motor repair place around me? (Atlanta, GA area). Just search for small motor repair and make calls?

Since this is a variable speed pump, the replacement motor includes a new controller and costs over $400 from Inyopools. -- Is it possible to replace only the pump?

Thanks in advance.

With a VS motor, you will need to replace both the motor and controller. I don't believe motors are sold separately. They may be quoting the V-Green motor is which is not a direct replacement.

Another option is that it may be possible to replace the bearings. VS motors require inverter duty bearings so you may need to go to a motor shop to find them.

Thanks Mark. I think I may buy a single speed motor just for a back-up and look around for a motor shop to find the bearings (or someone who will replace them). I'm definitely regretting purchasing the VS pump right now.

You should have done the bearing when the shaft seal went. Water may have made its way in and took out the bearing. Did one last year myself. Wasn't too bad of a job but now runs like a brand new motor.

Put Electric Motor Repair Shop in a map application and see what is close by to you. Call them and tell them what motor you have and see if they will repair.

I just wanted to say think you Marty! I did that and found some that were listed. I called a few and they ended up referring me to a guy who did a spectacular job on my pump. It's whisper quiet now. :) Whoo hoo!

He asked if I had bubbles in the filter basket, which I do, not alot, but a constant small amount. He said that will tear up the seal and gaskets. Ever heard of that? I guess I need to figure out what is causing that.

Suction side air leaks are not something you want to live with.

Be sure you clean and lubricate the pump basket lid gasket. That is the source for most suction side air leaks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.