Concord, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have a Hayward Superpump (model SP2615X20) that is at least five years old. The leaves came early this year before I could get the leaf cover on the pool, and the past week or so I've been struggling keeping leaves out of the skimmer. About a week ago, leaves jammed up the top skimmer, causing the pump to pull air. Not sure how long it was running while pulling air, but my wife ran out and shut it off. Fixed that and pump seemed to run OK. Saturday I cleaned out more leaves from the skimmer, and then cleaned a few leaves out of the pump basket. While I was doing that, for some reason, I turned the multi-valve to "closed". I buttoned everything up thinking things were ok (pump wasn't running since timer was off). Next day I come back from running and hear a horrible noise from the pump. Sprint back there and water is going everywhere. In my haste on Sat, I neglected to turn the multi-valve back to "filter". (yes I feel like an idiot). The discharge line from the pump was forced out of the fitting on the top of the pump. Based on my timer settings, the pump was running like that for 2-3 hours. Yesterday I replumbed the discharge, pump would not prime. I thought there was a leak on the intake side, so today I replumbed the intake and pump still won't prime.

Given the age of the pump and the time it spent pulling air, would it be logical to think that maybe the impeller is worn? The skimmer piping seems to be clear. One more thing, in the mornings when the pump started (before all this happened), the pump would blow air for about 5-10 seconds before settling down. Not sure if that has any bearing on what's going on now or not.

Only bright side is that at least I'm not getting ready to open the pool!

Thanks
Ed

Replace the seal and check the impeller.

Why do you have such a big pump?

Unless you really need that much flow, I would downsize the impeller to a SPX2607C.

You should replace the diffuser gasket and the housing gasket.

Does the motor sound ok?

Do you have a picture of the system?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chickinvic
Replace the seal and check the impeller.

Why do you have such a big pump?

Unless you really need that much flow, I would downsize the impeller to a SPX2607C.

You should replace the diffuser gasket and the housing gasket.

Does the motor sound ok?

Do you have a picture of the system?
I have the big pump because that's what came with the house. One day when it finally dies I will replace with a 1-1/2 hp 2-speed or maybe VS pump. We'll see.
The motor sounds normal. No leaks from the pump I forgot to add. You say "replace the seal" do you mean the diffuser and housing gaskets? I don't have a pic of the system but I'll grab a pic this evening. I put silicone lube on the housing gasket but I have ordered a new one. One more thing, small air leak on top of the sand filter. I've ordered a new T fitting for that, arrives Thurs. Thanks

First, check for a suction leak. You can push water through the pump using a garden hose in the skimmer. This will create a little bit of pressure on the suction side and can help identify a leak.

If you verify that the suction is not leaking, I would replace the impeller with a SPX2607C. You should also replace the shaft seal, diffuser gasket and housing gasket.

First, check for a suction leak. You can push water through the pump using a garden hose in the skimmer. This will create a little bit of pressure on the suction side and can help identify a leak.

If you verify that the suction is not leaking, I would replace the impeller with a SPX2607C. You should also replace the shaft seal, diffuser gasket and housing gasket.

Will do, thanks very much. I'll post an update soon as I have one!

Are you sure you put the pump basket lid and seal back on correctly? That would cause a suction leak and failure to prime.
Yes, I put them both on correctly. I ordered a new seal that I will install tomorrow though, since the seal on there now is the original one. Thanks!

A good news update! I verified that the suction line wasn't leaking, and also replaced the seal around the basket lid. Fired up the pump and it primed just fine. I examined the old seal and saw a very small wrinkle and gap in it which is where the leak was coming from I guess. I had ordered the SPX2607C impeller and a set of seals for the inside of the pump. I think I'll keep them and install the smaller impeller for increased efficiency later on. Thanks everyone for your help/advice.

Reactions: JamesW and mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.