Hayward Super Pump Problem

Pas6171

Jun 11, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Good Morning, was wondering if anyone could give me some advise as to what might be wrong with my pump and the best (read affordable) solution? I am a do it your self kind of guy with some measure of experience in AC electrical - even 230v. Our pool is an 80,000lt in ground pool with a Hayward Super Pump. Will post model and hp when I get home tomorrow. It's 230v for sure tho. Age of pump is 11+ years old but looks in pretty good condition and has run flawlessly every year from 2009 till 2017.

- Pool was shut off and not maintained other than water level for 2 years.
- Opened pool and got everything ready to start pump and fix the water (took almost a whole day)
- Turned on pump breakers and pump was making a low humming.
- Gave it a few gentle taps with hammer to free impeller and no change.
- Cycled breakers off and on once - still humming, and before I could turn them off, the pump went silent.
- Cycled breakers again to reset and still silent.
- Checked AC wire going to pump with a current detection pen and they are live when breaker is on.

That is as far as I got then had to go to work. Planning on testing voltage with a volt meter and will post results.
In the meantime, any thoughts as to what happened to my pump and where to go next with it.
Hayward pumps are pricey and would rather repair than replace if possible to do for less than a new one.

Thanks for your time guys!
Paul

Paul,

One of those voltage pens is really not adequate when testing 240 volts, but since the motor hums, it probably is getting power.

The most likely problem is a bad starter cap.. An easy and cheap DIY fix,

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ya I figured the pen wasnt a great way to check. It was all I had time for.. thanks to both of u for ur replies! I just watched a vid on checking the impeller and changing the start cap. Will post back and let u know how it goes. I'll be home tomorrow.
Thanks again!
Paul

Ok well I have more info now that I'm home. I went at the power side first with a volt meter. One of the 2 glass screw in fuses (I know.. old skool Lol) is toast and headed to town to get replacements. Also, I tried to spin the impeller by hand both from motor side and in the basket. Will not budge. Where do I go from here guys? Try to split the pump & motor and free up the impeller? Or new bearings etc?
Thanks again,
Paul

Agree with earlier posts about capacitor. Experienced the same. I'm guessing, but could need a new shaft seal. I pulled my entire pump assembly apart a couple of times. Did replace that seal prior. Not that hard. Basically a chance to lube and check parts. Cheaper than a new motor for a little effort. :)

Good luck.

Put a big flat head screw driver on the back end of the motor on the shaft and put vice grips on the driver shaft, then give it a wack with a hammer to spin the shaft. From the pump side with just your fingers you'll never turn it. Once you free it replace that fuse and you should be ok.

So the pump wasnt seized at all. The capacitor tested good at an electronics shop. Turned out to be the V shaped switch that was stuck open! Pump is working again now. Thanks to everyone who chimed in ? If it wasn't for u guys, I'd probably be $500 poorer after buying a new pump. Now to fix the nasty green water Lol
Thanks,
Paul

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sure. My impeller shaft turns freely, and the capacitor was good. Pump hums when power is applied. The switch that sits on the end of the shaft was stuck open. It's a V shaped plastic piece with metal contacts on the top. 2 minute replace with just 1 screw holding it there. Cost me 30 bucks Canadian.
Paul

Attachments

• 20190614_194816.jpg
    20190614_194816.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20190614_194823.jpg
    20190614_194823.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 3
I ended up talking to a guy who rebuilds the entire unit when I went to have the capacitor tested. He said that a humming pump generally is either caused by a bad capacitor, or that switch. Provided that the shaft spins freely that is. If you discharge the capacitor and remove it (dont have to unhook the wires, just drop it out of the way), then u can get a 7/16 wrench on the shaft right where it comes out of the motor housing. Makes it easy to verify if it spins or is seized.
Paul

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.