Hayward Super Pump - Motor Replacement VS Options?

rrinken

May 19, 2020
Wichita, KS
I have a Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump SP2610X15 installed in May of 2014 that the motor blew on last night. I have been considering moving to a variable speed motor as I hear of cost savings.

Wanted opinions on going with the Hayward VS replacement pump for ease of install versus other options.

As always I had planned to do research but have not done much and now I am faced with the decision.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge

Welcome to TFP :)

There are many options.. I went with the V Green VS motor for my 1hp replacement.. The 1.65 hp VS should work perfect for you..

Call inyo and make sure what motor fits your pump and upgrade to the salt or SCS seal with the repair kit :)

Attachments

• Use-The-Right-Seal-For-Your-Pool-and-Spa-Pumps.pdf
    311.1 KB · Views: 3
I did and I like it... I put it on my deck poolside so I can turn it up or off when I am in the pool..

I am changing my setup soon and will no longer use it as I bought Intermatic automation that will now control the pump... :)

I moved forward and purchased the 1.65 hp VS motor from INYO pool. Ordered Monday evening and received on Friday without additional freight so very pleased with INYO.

Install on Friday night was very straight forward and the videos emailed from INYO was a nice touch.

Now comes the fun part, experimenting with the schedule. It has been cool and wet in Kansas so no swimmers yet and with the automatic cover I really have not had it open much and not at all since motor replacement.

Things I have noticed so far is how quiet it is. The pressure drop when running at 1100 rpm is to almost nothing which surprised me. My salt cell never displayed "no flow" even when running at 600 rpm.

Reactions: cowboycasey
I moved forward and purchased the 1.65 hp VS motor from INYO pool. Ordered Monday evening and received on Friday without additional freight so very pleased with INYO.

Install on Friday night was very straight forward and the videos emailed from INYO was a nice touch.

Now comes the fun part, experimenting with the schedule. It has been cool and wet in Kansas so no swimmers yet and with the automatic cover I really have not had it open much and not at all since motor replacement.

Things I have noticed so far is how quiet it is. The pressure drop when running at 1100 rpm is to almost nothing which surprised me. My salt cell never displayed "no flow" even when running at 600 rpm.
It is still cool so no swimming in KS yet. The flow switch is not working correctly in my AQR15 as the way I have it wired the AQR is powered as is the new pump 24x7…. The way the pump is programmed it is stopped for 8 hours a day. I was relying on the flow switch to stop chlorine generation during this time. But as I have proved the flow switch is not working as expected by checking while the pump is stopped. Now what?

Do I program the pump to run at minimal RPM instead of stopping it?

I don’t want to spend the bucks to replace the salt cell…. But is the flow switch within the cell or external? Maybe it has never worked as prior to this pump motor the salt was powered by same switch as the old motor So I assumed it would sense no flow and flashes at start up and still does so today.

Did a refresher and know the flow switch is external…. I tested by unplugging the lead and the no flow led did light and then flashed as I plugged back in…. Not sure if my flow switch has failed in a show flow position or something else? Debugging thoughts? Also am I crazy using the flow switch to kill chlorine generation when pump is stopped but both are powered?

Thanks for this post. My Hayward pump is going out. Seems the previous owner didn't get a pump with the saltwater seal and it went out and is getting into the bearings. It is loud. So I just ordered a V Green pump from INYO pools along with a salt pump kit. It is great how they provide the owners manual and all needed literature. Hopefully it will come in soon, my pump is loud but at least it is inside my well pump house so it isn't to loud for the neighbors.

Reactions: cowboycasey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.