Hayward Super Pump - Loud Rhythmic Noise

MAS

Silver Supporter
May 25, 2017
Bernardsville/NJ
Hi everyone. Came out to the pool yesterday afternoon to find the pump making a loud rhythmic noise that I haven't heard before. Pump is functioning fine other than the noise. Any idea what might be causing this? Pump is about 6 years old. I recorded a video and an audio file, but the site won't let me load them even though they are allowed extensions (.mov and .mp3). I must be doing something wrong.

Check your filter pressure. Is it 25% over clean pressure? Might be time to backwash/clean the filter.

My pool guy, who I actually trust, thinks the pump needs to be replaced. He hasn't looked at it yet, but says that 6 years is the expected life of a pump. Thinks the Pentair Whisperflow is a superior pump to the Hayward I have, but I've never owned anything other than Hayward products except my Polaris cleaner.

If the motor needs to be replaced, you can just replace it and not the entire pump. Also, a two speed motor will save you quite a bit of electricity.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you recommend any particular brand to replace what we have today? (Model C48K2N143B1) Would prefer something made in the U.S. if possible (doubtful, I know). Also, what are your thoughts on a variable speed motor replacement? Found this one online that is supposed to be a direct replacement. Century ECM16CU

Inyopools carries a wide range of motors. The one you reference is one of them. No idea the country of origin.
Be sure you get a quality seal kit for the replacement. Also check what voltage you have at your current motor as most VS motors are 220V.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.