Hayward Super Pump loud and hot - is it safe to run?

CapnFritz

May 13, 2019
I have a Hayward Super Pump that has steadily gotten louder in the last week - I mean very loud, like annoying to be around / unsafe decibel levels up close loud, and hot to the touch. It's still moving water but I fear the bearings may be on their way out. I have a new pump ordered but I am wondering, should I keep running the current pump as is or is the loud noise and heat a warning that it is becoming unsafe to do so?

As for the replacement, while researching I came across this thread Drop in VSP replacement for a Hayward Super Pump, which led me to select this variable speed pump as a replacement - A.O. Smith V-Green 1.65 HP Round Flange 56J Variable Speed Motor - ECM16CU - INYOPools.com. I think my impeller can be reused with it going by the SP2610-C part stamp on it, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Attachments

• Hayward Super Pump.jpg
    Hayward Super Pump.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 10
  • SP2610-C.jpg
    SP2610-C.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 11
The V-Green 1.65 motor should be a drop in replacement for your 1.5 hp single speed motor.
You can use the existing impeller.

Use care that the wet-end (the pumping part of the unit) doesn't get too hot as excess heat can warp the volute and impeller.

When is the new motor to be delivered and when do you expect to replace the existing motor with the V-Green?

The V-Green 1.65 motor should be a drop in replacement for your 1.5 hp single speed motor.
when ordering ask about the correct GOKITS for gasket/seal, if you haven't already. BTY, I went with a 2.7 VS from a 3hp HaywardSP from INYOPools.com. and its made a big difference in my energy bill.

Thanks for your input. I just ordered it this morning and selected free ground shipping over $100+ and up for 3-day shipping or faster. I did some side reading that said the pump should run hot to where you can touch it for a few seconds and then have to pull away, but not immediately searing hot. I was just out vacuuming for about 30 minutes or so and felt the pump afterwards and it was just warm to the touch. I'll keep an eye on it though.
when ordering ask about the correct GOKITS for gasket/seal, if you haven't already. BTY, I went with a 2.7 VS from a 3hp HaywardSP from INYOPools.com. and its made a big difference in my energy bill.
I actually just got one at the beginning of the summer when I found the motor wouldn't turn the impeller when I opened up in the spring. The new bearing got me going again and the pump was quieter too, until just here recently. Do you think it's worth replacing again with it being just a few months old?

Thanks for your input. I just ordered it this morning and selected free ground shipping over $100+ and up for 3-day shipping or faster. I did some side reading that said the pump should run hot to where you can touch it for a few seconds and then have to pull away, but not immediately searing hot. I was just out vacuuming for about 30 minutes or so and felt the pump afterwards and it was just warm to the touch. I'll keep an eye on it though.
At a minimum, you need to replace the shaft seal as you are changing out the motor.
Will do. Thank you both

I have a Hayward Super Pump that has steadily gotten louder in the last week - I mean very loud, like annoying to be around / unsafe decibel levels up close loud, and hot to the touch. It's still moving water but I fear the bearings may be on their way out. I have a new pump ordered but I am wondering, should I keep running the current pump as is or is the loud noise and heat a warning that it is becoming unsafe to do so?

As for the replacement, while researching I came across this thread Drop in VSP replacement for a Hayward Super Pump, which led me to select this variable speed pump as a replacement - A.O. Smith V-Green 1.65 HP Round Flange 56J Variable Speed Motor - ECM16CU - INYOPools.com. I think my impeller can be reused with it going by the SP2610-C part stamp on it, but please correct me if I am wrong.
You have a 1.5 hp UPRATED pump (1.50thp), a full-rated1hp (1.50thp) pump. That impeller is a 1hp impeller (1.5thp). The 1.65 V-Green will work well and can be used with your existing time clock. There are videos on Century Motor's website that explain how to do it. The 1.65 V-Green is not a replacement for a full-rated 1.5hp motor (usually 2.2thp).

Last edited by a moderator:

Use care that the wet-end (the pumping part of the unit) doesn't get too hot as excess heat can warp the volute and impeller.

When is the new motor to be delivered and when do you expect to replace the existing motor with the V-Green?
For THAT motor the 1.65 is a direct replacement. It is an uprated 1.5hp motor. The label tells you that, horsepower (1.5) X service factor (1.0) = 1.5thp. C-frame motors that Hayward uses usually have a lower service factor rating for some reason. A standard uprated motor would have a 1.1 service factor which would make it a 1.65thp motor, the same as a full-rated 1hp. A full rated 1.5hp motor would be at least 2.2thp.
This is one of the confusing issues that the newish DOE regulations were designed to eliminate.

You have a 1.5 hp UPRATED pump (1.50thp), a full-rated1hp (1.50thp) pump. That impeller is a 1hp impeller (1.5thp). The 1.65 V-Green will work well and can be used with your existing time clock. There are videos on Century Motor's website that explain how to do it. The 1.65 V-Green is not a replacement for a full-rated 1.5hp motor (usually 2.2thp).
Not sure I understand your response. Did I get the right pump and can I use the existing impeller?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.