Hayward super pump leak problem

Jul 29, 2009
Winnipeg,Canada
I have a 6-7 year old 1hp pump that has a leak in the center between the pump and motor. I have taken it to the pool store 4x and each time it comes back it is leaking.
First time they replace the mechanical seal saying it had pine needles.
2nd time a week later again was told it was filled with pine needles
3rd time told it was the rubber seal
4th time was told it might be warped and if still leaking replace the whole unit.
Should I just go and get a new one or does anyone have any suggestions?

You have more patience than me. After the second failure I would’ve been looking for another pool store.

The super pump is really easy to work on and there are multiple you tube videos on how to replace the pump seal. I’m wondering if they over tightened it as that will cause it to leak around the shaft. I learned that trying to solve the seal leaking at the bottom.

As mentioned you’d have to take it apart to determine if it’s warped or cracked. You can also pick up the Hayward seal kit SPHXKIT3 on amazon for less than I’ve seen some third party brands go for. It has all of the seals in it. Some places sell a different kit for salt water but I did t see anything in the Hayward parts list that showed different pump seals based on use.

If the housing needs to be replaced because it’s damaged, then you can pick up a new one for around $150 on eBay, or take a chance on a used on for about $80. And of course a new pump is always an option.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.