Hayward Super II Pump Issues - not priming, low psi, low water flow, uneven suction

Aug 6, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hi All, I have a few issues with my pump systems
1. Strainer basket lose prime after I start up the motor pump within 10min.
2. No pressure increase in the filter gauge.
3. When I feel the side wall intake for the pool bottom vacuum cleaner, the suction is uneven, sometimes I feel water flowing into the pool from the sidewall intake.
4. Looking through the strainer cover, I see little to no water movement. Looks like water is not going anywhere, pool returns jet has little to no water.
5. When I check the air release valve at the top of the filter cover, I hear air hissing out.

Here are what I checked:
1. Removed all debris in the skimmer and strainer basket.
2. No blockage at the vacuum cleaner robot
3. Strainer cover o-ring inspected to have no cracks and re-lubricated.
4. Tried to move the multi valve into different positions (100 vacuum cleaner, 100 strainer, 50/50) and see no difference in the strainer basket.

Major Pool maintenance prior to the symptom:
Replaced the motor. Old motor was running loud and eventually died. Kept the old diffuser.
Replaced the entire filter grid. Old one has tears on multiple grids.

Any ideas as to what to do next is welcome.

First step, let all the air out of the filter. Keep it open until a bit of water shoots out. Then close it.

Nice to meet you via TFP :)

Start by running simple. 100% from the skimmer.

Some pumps will take 3 or 4 minutes to catch prime and then all should be well. Is the pump above the pool water?

It wasn't working with the 100% skimmer test, so I double checked the strainer lid with bubble test, and found pretty large leak at the oring. I am not sure how, I saw no cracks on the oring. Anyway I am replacing it and hopefully this is the only reason my pump loses prime.

Good find :) That's often the reason. It may have just not been seated properly. Make sure everything is clean (the groove where the o-ring sits, the mating surface, and the o-ring itself). Hand-tightened should be enough, provided the o-ring is lubed with silicone grease.

Update on my pool. The pump not priming issue was fixed by the lid o ring. However I was still getting low flow and low PSI. The low psi pointed me to the pump and I couldn't find anything else wrong with it. It turns out that my PSI gauge was broken!!! I opened the DE filter grid and it was covered with algae. I cleaned the grid and reassembled. The flow is now good. Next is to replace the PSI gauge and follow SLAM to get my green pool back to clear.

Reactions: needsajet
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.