Hayward strainer basket lid - why so difficult to remove??

Aug 11, 2013
I have a Hayward Power-Flo Matrix SP1510Z1XEHC pump 1.0 HP. The strainer basket lid that came with it is very difficult to remove. I've used silicone lube, tried to clean off the old silicone lube, put a fresh thin layer, etc... It is aggravating... I basically have to use a rubber mallet to beat on the lid... It should not be this difficult!!!

I am looking at other brands, and maybe thinking about getting a 2-speed pump motor. Are there any recommendations?

The strainer basket lid as shown here

Keep using the rubber mallet on it. I would not replace the pump for that reason.

Most people complain about air leaks into their pump cover and it not being tight enough.

Reactions: socrates15
I have a Hayward pump, but my basket lid looks different from yours. It has two protruding ridges running across the top, so there's something to grab ahold of to shove. Early on, I had problems getting the lid off. I used rubber mallets, also a pipe wrench fitted across those two ridges (gently with a pipe wrench, though!). I solved my problem using two different things. First, rather than silicone lube, I used what I had handy, which is some Permatex anti-seize compound -- stuff you put on spark plugs and the like so they don't get stuck. Since it's basically a heavy grease, I figured it wouldn't hurt anything. So I applied a thin layer to the o-ring. Second, I learned to hand-tighten the lid only. All you're trying to do is get the o-ring to seal, and you don't need a lot of force to do this. I harken back to the days when I used to change the oil in my cars and how, with the spin-on oil filters, they were hand-tighten only. So same sort of thing applies. Anyway, now that I hand-tighten the lid, I can free it up just by gripping one of those protruding ridges and giving it a good shove or two. I don't have any problems with air leaks.

Second on the hand tightening! Also, are you relieving pressure on the system before trying to take off cover?

When I am installing cover, I lube up the o-ring then hand tighten. Then I start the pump, let the cover suck in some, then give it another little hand tighten.

When you say "relieving the pressure", I was under the impression that the water on the suction side is not under pressure/vacuum with the pump off.

I have tried to loosen the strainer basket with the pump on (just to slightly loosen) with no change.

I looked at the owner's manual and there are no other procedures to remove the cover.

Below is a link to the manual and excerpts from the manual. I sent the company a question regarding this to see what they say. I am starting to wonder if my cover has always been deformed/ill-fitting from the start...

Priming Pump
 Clean and lubricate strainer cover O-ring with "Jack's 327" each time it is removed.
 Clean and inspect O-ring; re-install on strainer cover.
 Replace strainer cover on strainer housing; turn clockwise to tighten cover.
NOTE: Tighten strainer cover by hand only (no wrenches) ¼ turn.
 Open all valves before starting system.
 Release all air from filter and piping system. See filter owner’s manual

1. Make sure pump/strainer housing is filled with water and the cover O-ring is clean, also be sure it is properly
seated in the cover O-ring groove. Make sure strainer cover is locked firmly in position and lubricated with
“Jack’s 327.”

Maintenance

 Clean strainer basket regularly. Do NOT strike basket to clean. Inspect strainer cover gasket regularly and
replace as necessary.

It still may be under a suction pressure depending on your set up, check valves etc.

I am not sure of your setup, I know on mine, I relieve pressure at the filter. However, I do have a Pentair VS, so I have the 2 projections to help aid in removal and installation.

Reactions: socrates15
Thanks for all the responses.

Hayward technical services replied within 40 minutes of my online question submission:

"The lid on the units are made to fit tight so that the
pump cannot suck in air effecting the prime of the pump. the best
thing to do is using a rubber mallet you can bump on the lid where
you would grab it to remove it."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.