Hayward spa light won’t turn off

Nov 19, 2014
Austin, TX
Hayward Prologic with Colorlogic lights (I think)

To summarize, we had a power outage the other day, and my spa light won’t turn off. When I power cycle the lights (circuit breaker or service mode for 30 seconds) the pool lights (2) will come on as well as the system reboots/tests, the pool lights then flash and cycle and shut down, but the spa just stays white.

To provide some context, I’ve been having this problem for a long time whenever we have power outages or sometimes when I activate service mode. Most of the time it eventually clears up, either on its own or when I cycle everything 20 times. However, the spa has been on 2 days and I CANNOT TURN IT OFF!!!

It’s driving me crazy. Is there something to look for? I have two light programs; one for “all white” and one for pool/color and one for spa/color. I don’t think the programs could be at fault...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

Rick,

Lights are controlled by a relay... the only way a light can stay on is if the relay is stuck closed.

You need to determine which relay controls the spa light and tap it... I suspect the light will shut off.. If it does, you need to replace the relay.

Sometimes the driver that tells the relay to come on can go bad, but they normally do not cause intermittent operation..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim:

Thanks for the prompt reply! Makes sense, I’m familiar with relay problems (auto), but for some reason didn’t really consider that.

I took the cover off and tapped on the retaining bar for the “lights” relay (4 across). There was definitely some noise (like a trigger short) that wasn’t there when I tapped on the bar below it, though it was difficult to isolate it.

The weird thing is that there’s only one “lights” slot, and I’d imagine it would effect all the lights and not just the spa light...

Anyway, I’ll probably replace it for good measure to try and kill the unhealthy noise. In terms of the replacement, are all the relays largely interchangeable? The ones I found online all seem to be the same 3hp relay... Omron 67L-2A-BUBJ-CB, 25 amp 240v, 24vdc. But they have different serials (which I assume is just batch numbers). This one on amazon seems to fit, though it’s described as GLX-RELAY?

Pentair 520106 Relay Assembly Replacement Pool and Spa Control Systems, 3 HP Amazon.com: Pentair 520106 Relay Assembly Replacement Pool and Spa Control Systems, 3 HP: Garden & Outdoor

Thanks again for the help!

Best,
Rick

Rick,

The GLX and Pentair relays look to be interchangeable to me..

If you can normally turn on your pool light or Spa light individually, then you have to have two relays.. One for the pool light and one for the spa light..

I am not too familiar with the Hayward system, but you can't use one relay to turn on two lights unless they both turn on and off at the same time.

If the lights normally come on at the same time, then half the relay could be stuck on while the other half could be still working. So it could be possible for the Spa light to stay on while the pool light turns on and off...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Had a chance to dig in a little more today with some testing, interesting insights.

I have 3 lights (2 pool, 1 spa). I also have 3 light programs... 1 for all lights white (Lights relay), 1 for pool lights color program (aux 1), 1 for spa light color program (aux 5). I typically just turn on the spa and pool directly (color) when we swim, white all lights is for work, cleaning, etc. the Hayward control system is at the pad, with the light transformers (?) in a small metal box halfway between the pad and the pool. Per my original post, the spa light is stuck on in white (default), pool is operating normally.

When I pulled the panel and tapped the cover bar her the relays I heard a tapping. However, when I cut power, pulled the bar, and investigated it seems this was the result of loose wire screw down brackets. After tightening those up (across all relays) the noise is gone.

When I tap the button for the spa light I hear the relay in aux 5 click, like I’d expect. However, when I tap the button for Lights (all) or Pool Lights (aux 1) I hear nothing, though the pool lights go on and off (normal). Also, the relays for aux 1 and lights are both hot... not super hot, but hotter than I’d expect for an off state. And the transformer is definitely on for at least one of the lights... I can hear it and the box is hot.

I know the lights have juice all the time and the controls just turn it on or off. Not sure which relay I should focus on here... aux 5 clicks normally and isn’t hot, but then again only Lights is powered (power... other relays are wired in with what looks like smaller controller wiring, not the power wires). Is it possible the main lights relay is defective? Like, half of it isn’t working?

I’m fairly good with electrical, but this thing is a freaking mystery.

Thanks,
Rt

Colorlogic manual is here —> https://hayward-pool-assets.com/ass...ic-InstallationandOperations.pdf?fromCDN=true

See page 11. The lights can be networked with ProLogic and controlled not just by the power relays. You need to dig in and see if you have this type of connection.

Page 13 says:

Networking
Using a ColorLogic modem AQL-COLOR-MODHV and Coupler LKBUN1000, owners of Hayward Pro Logic PS pool/spa controllers using software version 4.45 or greater can network their LSCUN11xxx and/or LPCUN11xxx Universal ColorLogic light(s), allowing them to fully control the color, speed, motion and brightness of preset light shows. If the lights will be networked, refer to the AQL-COLOR-MODHV ColorLogic Network module for programs and operation instructions.

Also see https://hayward-pool-assets.com/ass.../manuals/CouplerOwnerManuals.pdf?fromCDN=true

and https://hayward-pool-assets.com/ass...s/ColorLogic-AQL-COLOR-MODHV.pdf?fromCDN=true

Last edited:
ajw:

Thanks for the follow-up. As I mentioned in my initial post, yes, I have Colorlogic with the remote and the ability to program various color schemes into my light system, and I can set aux slots to handle various combinations of things (with a limited number of slots available). That's how I have all 3 lights on one circuit with white, and two more circuits (aux), 1 for the 2 pool lights color and 1 for the spa light color.

However, none of that (and nothing in the docs you link) speaks to the problem I'm having in any real way... I've read them through already and have the originals in my garage. I've cut power for extended periods of time to try and "reset" the system. I've resynced my lights with the 10-15 second reset, I've checked the seating of the relays, etc.

My hope is that someone on this board has experience with either my type of set-up generally (Hayward Prologic/Colorlogic) and/or my problem specifically.

My PB (who I sometimes use for maintenance and this type of stuff) thinks maybe the light is shot, which would be frustrating at like under 5 years old. I think the problem is related either the relays or the transformer, but those are both tough nuts to diagnose without just outright replacement. Hence the "looking for experience" part of this thread.

Thanks,
Rick

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.