Houston, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have a Hayward sp1070b skimmer where i believe the front hole is connected to the main drain.

Two questions, does it require a float valve and is the SP1070FV the right float valve if one is needed?

I ask as i purchased the 1070FV valve and it appears not to fit in the bottom and i dont know what i am doing wrong.

Do you need the float valve? No. Many pools with similar skimmers do not have them. With them installed and the gate adjusted across the bottom opening your main drain will become active (have suction). Without them the main drain will remain inactive unless the skimmer basket become very clogged. Main drains aid in the circulation by mixing the water off the bottom with what is pulled off the top.

You don't mention a cleaner. A suction-side cleaner will act as a moving main drain, pulling water off the bottom to mix with the rest of the pool when the pump is running. A pressure side cleaner will continually add water from the surface (skimmer) to the lower portion of the pool and improve the mixing when the pump is running and more when it is running. A robotic will do something similar, but is not usually running as much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.