Hayward pump ‘humming’ and shutting off on low

Jan 2, 2014
Hi all

Working on troubleshooting issues with my Hayward tri-star w speed pump. When on vacation over the 4th we returned to the pump breaker being ‘popped’. Flipped it on and everything seemed to function as it should until this morning.

Pump turns on high fine and runs in high with no issues. When switching to low, there is a pronounced humming noise coming from the motor and then after 10 secs or so it shuts off. I searched and didn’t come across any same issue but did see where a similar issue was remedied by replacing the ‘V’ switch.

I’ve found the parts diagram for my motor but am unsure if I should order and replace the ‘v’ switch and/or the start capacitor. I don’t necessarily want to just throw parts at it unneeded but also don’t want to order a part, need another part, wait another week for more parts, etc.

Any guidance on troubleshooting I can do to maybe narrow down my issue?

Thanks!

E48F1C7A-04C7-4876-A94A-2C308A01C3BE.jpeg

My guts says the start capacitor as mine did the same thing only it was the high that it would not start in.

Thanks. Ironically it’s been working the last few days and I haven’t experienced the issues above again.

Would a start capacitor fail intermittently or should I investigate some other potential issue? I’m considering just replacing the motor (found it on amazon for 340) as finding parts support for the motor has been a chore (century referred me to Hayward and Hayward was no help). I’m in London for work this coming week and will address when I get back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.