Hayward pump humming and not turning. Want to check capacitor

z33tec

Jul 7, 2016
NY
So today my pump was working fine but I wanted to backed my filter. I turned it off to switch to backwash and then when I turned it back on it would only hum and not do anything.

From my searching it seems to likely be the capacitor since I can't turn the shaft manually with my fingers.

My problem is that most videos show motors with some sort of plastic cover over the back which covers the capacitor. I don't have that. Mine is just a flat metal back with only a small metal panel to connect the power cord.

I have a Hayward swimpro lx, which for some reason doesn't come up when searching. It looks like the powerflo lx is basically the same though for reference.

The screws on the back of the motor seem to be through bolts that hold the pump fan on.

Any ideas how to get to capacitor?

Let's see if any members on the forum this morning have any experience with this type motor.

Well since I hadn't had much luck with my web research I ended up just getting a new pump. Instant fix rather than messing around for a few days and my pool sitting unfiltered. Cost about 270 unfortunately but with limited time on my hands it was worth the price.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.