Hayward pump has failed again.

Windylou

Silver Supporter
May 11, 2017
Groveton, Tx
I have had to replace my pump every 2 years & it’s getting frustrating especially since everyone says a pump should last at least 8 years. My salt cell went out at the end of the season last year, so I left everything off for the winter. I went to start it up the other day & the pump was working, but the flow was really weak, then it started smoking. All within about 10 seconds, so I turned it off. I have the Hayward power flo lx 1.5 hp. I’ve scoured the internet to try to find repair options, but I’m not seeing anyone else with the same issue. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have the Hayward power flo lx 1.5 hp
I have a Hayward Power-Flo and have also used a Waterway Supreme which are basically the same pumps. My current one is on its 9th year. I have changed the shaft seal on it though. I think anything over 5-6 years is doing very well. Certainly two years is too short. Something is wrong. Have you disassembled the pump (pot/volute from the motor) to see if you have debris clogging inside in the impeller area? That could certainly cause enough restriction. My link below may help.

I haven’t disassembled, I wanted to know what I was looking for first. I will see if the impeller is clogged and go from there. I’m attaching a pic, not sure if you can tell where the smoke is coming from.

Attachments

• 5679AA9C-8B96-4B17-B801-6470226148A8.jpeg
    5679AA9C-8B96-4B17-B801-6470226148A8.jpeg
    766.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
You need a cleaner dryer environment around your pool pump. There is too much growing around it indicating a lot of moisture. Moisture is what kills pump motors.

Keep your pump clean and dry and it should last longer.

I have had to replace my pump every 2 years & it’s getting frustrating especially since everyone says a pump should last at least 8 years. My salt cell went out at the end of the season last year, so I left everything off for the winter. I went to start it up the other day & the pump was working, but the flow was really weak, then it started smoking. All within about 10 seconds, so I turned it off. I have the Hayward power flo lx 1.5 hp. I’ve scoured the internet to try to find repair options, but I’m not seeing anyone else with the same issue. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I'm in the same boat. I replace mine every couple of years. Probably need to cover it so that it's not getting hammered straight on by the rain.

Last edited by a moderator:
after my second high dollar hayward giving me problems in about the same time frame, I just gave up on the 'high end' pumps and started buying the generic pumps. I figured if I had to replace them anyway, it wouldn't sting as much. I've been pleasantly surprised.

If you keep your pool full but not running through the Winter, it will damage the pump. Before I was in this business it used to happen to me yearly with my above-ground pool. Every year I had to replace bearings in the motor. Did it myself as I could, had the tools already. Thought I was saving money not running the filter. I had in-ground equipment so it was actually easier to do than with the type of pump that is normally on an above-ground pool.

The shaft seal is not a 100% watertight assembly. The weight of the water above the pump will cause water to weep past the seal and into the front bearing, damaging it, and you will experience motor problems. It is best to run the pump at least an hour a day to heat it up and dry it out. Happens with above-ground spas as well if they are turned off and the pump isn't drained, even though the spa may be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.