Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
North Central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just opening my pool for the summer. I have the original Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5 hp pump that came with the pool 6 years ago. Just completed re-hooking all the plumbing and putting a new Go-Kit in the pump. When power is turned on to the pump, it just hums; does not start. When installing the new shaft seal, I did notice that the shaft seemed to turn harder than I remembered, while I was reinstalling the impeller.

Did I screw something up, or did the old girl just get tired? This is the 3rd seal I have done, and the other two went easy-peasy. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

I wish it had a cap. That would make it easy. Just went thru that with a humming power washer. With my pool pump, I was kinda surprised how hard the shaft turned when I was putting the impeller back on. Don't ever remember that issue before. The shaft isn't set up; this afternoon I was able to get a pair of vise grips on the visible part of the shaft, between the pump housing and the motor. It turns, but pretty stiff.

I'm thinking motor bearings at this point. Since I don't have any experience with that repair, I'm starting to think about buying a new pump, then have someone look at the old one to repair it for a spare. If I had a spare right now, it would be running my pool, and I wouldn't be stressing out. :(

If anyone has any other ideas, please don't hesitate to throw them out there; I'm getting desperate. For now, my pool is covered, and my numbers are all good until I can complete my opening. I'm running a small utility pump to circulate the water in the pool. I'm going to bump my FC up to around 9 tonight.

Current readings: FC: 7.0, CC: 0.5, Ph: 7.5, CYA: 30, CH: 125, TA: 80

Reactions: Texas Splash
I would pull the motor away from the seal plate/housing, look for damage and check for rotation resistance while disassembled.
Also..do you have a centrifugal switch at the end of your armature? You may have a resistive split phase motor(no caps needed)

Last edited:
I would pull the motor away from the seal plate/housing, look for damage and check for rotation resistance while disassembled.
Also..do you have a centrifugal switch at the end of your armature? You may have a resistive split phase motor(no caps needed)
Thanks, I'll give it a look in the morning. As noted above, I did have rotation resistance while the motor was free from the wet end. The shaft could not be turned by hand; needed to lightly grip it with vise grips to turn it. When I screwed just the impeller to the shaft, the shaft would turn while I applied the turning force to the impeller, but "spin" freely- not a bit.

Something binding..probably bearing related. As you stated, a new motor or pump, rebuild this one and keep it on standby.
I have a Hayward tristar..replaced 12 year old motor(still working) with a 2 speed motor someone gave me. Wet end very healthy so no plumbing needed. Keep your small pump running,chlorinate and brush and you should be fine.

Reactions: ghall6292
Something binding..probably bearing related. As you stated, a new motor or pump, rebuild this one and keep it on standby.
I have a Hayward tristar..replaced 12 year old motor(still working) with a 2 speed motor someone gave me. Wet end very healthy so no plumbing needed. Keep your small pump running,chlorinate and brush and you should be fine.
Thanks, sounds like we're on the same page. My FC is at 9.0 this morning and my CC is zero. Water temp is at 63 degrees. I still have my winter cover on loosely so that any wind billows under it to vent any accumulation of gasses (ammonia) should that happen. Anything else you recommend until my new pump gets here Tuesday? Found a good deal on a two-speed. :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.