Hayward pool filter air issue

Bigguysam

Jun 1, 2022
BC
Hi, hopefully someone has some advice on my issue. I have a Hayward swimclear cartridge filer that quickly fills with air, I can bleed the air out and within 5 minutes it needs bleeding. I’ve replaced all the gaskets on the suction side including the pump basket and have tested all connections (smoke and shaving cream, etc…) and can find no leaks. I’ve isolated both the main and skimmer lines to try isolate an issue with either, but the problem never resolves itself, so assume the issue is not with either line. The water is half way up the skimmer intake so water level is not an issue.

Funny, there are no air bubbles coming through the pool returns and the water flow rate seems good but there is always air to bleed out of my filter. I’m not sure what else I should be looking but there is air getting into the system somewhere :(

Thanks for any advice you may have.

ken

Reactions: docktordeer
Hello Ken and welcome to TFP! :wave: A few questions:
- Did you ensure those suction side O-rings were all lubed well with pool silicone? The pump lid and pump drain plugs for sure.
- Does the pump strainer pot remain completely full of water while running, or does it have air in it.
- When you turn off the system, do you hear any noise or does water drop out of the pump strainer pot and back into the pool?

Let's start there. :)

Thanks for the reply Pat! Yes I applied lube to all the O-rings. The pump strainer lid is grey coloured so hard to see through it, which is kinda dumb;however, I can see water movement so I assume there is some air in there but mostly water. If I turn off the pump, there is a gurgling sound from the filter, sounds like it’s draining.
hope that helps to explain my issue.
ken

If I turn off the pump, there is a gurgling sound from the filter, sounds like it’s draining.
That means air is getting in the system. There's an air leak somewhere. Try toe post some pics of your equipment pad from a couple angles. Maybe something will catch our eyes.

Hi, hopefully someone has some advice on my issue. I have a Hayward swimclear cartridge filer that quickly fills with air, I can bleed the air out and within 5 minutes it needs bleeding. I’ve replaced all the gaskets on the suction side including the pump basket and have tested all connections (smoke and shaving cream, etc…) and can find no leaks. I’ve isolated both the main and skimmer lines to try isolate an issue with either, but the problem never resolves itself, so assume the issue is not with either line. The water is half way up the skimmer intake so water level is not an issue.

Funny, there are no air bubbles coming through the pool returns and the water flow rate seems good but there is always air to bleed out of my filter. I’m not sure what else I should be looking but there is air getting into the system somewhere :(

Thanks for any advice you may have.

ken
This is just something to check I had the same problem drove me crazy believe it or not but the flap in the skimmer was stuck down and was barely sucking in at all unstuck it and the pressure came back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.