Hayward Perflex (EC40) small amount of DE in pool

hwy17

Mar 17, 2021
Northern California
So this is something I dealt with last year with my new EC40 filter and I'm just wondering whether there's any known problems and solutions.

I was getting a small amount of DE blow through in my AGP.

I disassembled the grid completely and inspected every finger individually, they all appear to be intact. I just don't understand how they're supposed to seal properly at all given the design of the filter. At the base of the fingers they're sandwiches between two plates but they use the filter fabric as the gasket and that simply doesn't seem like it would provide a DE tight seal. I reassembled it and made sure the bolts that hold the two plates together are tight but not too tight, and I added an extra stainless washer on the so that the c clips on the shaft hold it even more tightly sandwiched in the middle too. That dealt with most of the issue and reduced the blow through a lot, but there is still some, like a few dime sized spots on the floor when I vacuum weekly.

My working theory now is that I just need to wait for the tiny leaks at the base of each finger to get clogged up with soiled DE over time.

My backwashing process is total clean out, I open the filter to remove the grid assembly and make sure all DE is removed, then load the prescribed 4lbs directly into the filter.

I contacted Hayward and they wanted to send a tech out to diagnose etc. which I'm just not interested in. I already agree with their likely conclusion that inspection of the filter reveals no specific manufacturing faults. They said "send a picture of how much DE is blowing through" so I take it they are going to say a tiny amount is within normal.

I'm swapping out a 1HP for 3/4HP this year so maybe the reduced pressure will help too.

Hi, I've been dealing with the same issue for years ...I tried just about everything you did and still have the problem. I have run the filter with no fingers and no DE and still have the dirt on the bottom. To me it looks like there is dirt on top of the water and when you run the pump/filter the dirt on top falls down to the bottom. Do you have trees near the pool? I think that's my problem, I have a tree that some branches hang over the pool and stuff falls on the surface all the time.
I've talked to pool people and they always blame leaks in the fingers so I bought a brand new EC40 but that did not help. They also claim that if you see bubbles in pump's basket that indicates some kind of a leak. I have also added another check valve out of the pump towards the filter itself, but no luck!
One more thing that just happened by pure coincidence was the there were a bunch of people in the pool and they were running/swimming in circles (I have a round pool) and after they stop I also noticed the dirt at the bottom.
This has been my experience. If you find the problem with yours, please do share the solution.

Henry.

I think I've identified the problem, or at least what Hayward would tell me is my problem by the letter of the manual.

With a 1HP Powerflo Matrix I was pushing more than 40GPM through the filter, and should have installed the ECX1055 flow controller in the inlet. I remember having the part left over and sort of wondering what it was, figuring it was just some kind of leftover placeholder or something - I should really think twice when I have that thought in the future.

Seems kind of silly that they'd sell a pump and filter set as a package with an oversized pump that you then have to restrict.

Now that you mentioned it I did see that on mine too and I took it off, I applied the same logic. Have you put it back yet?
Let me know if it works. I'll find mine when I reassemble the pool filter for the new season. I live in NJ and I take everything off.

Thanks,
Henry.

I either threw it away or it's lost in my things, but I won't be installing it yet because this year I changed to a 3/4hp pump and added a solar system so with both of those changes I think I am probably around or below 40GPM now. My unrestricted (solar bypassed) filter pressure is now 6psi when it used to be 10.

My problem is fine white DE powder on the floor of the pool though, not dirt. Although I guess if it was dirty DE it could look like that.

Interesting to see if you get rid of the problem, I'd like to know. Please tell me a little bit about your solar roof top. Do you keep you pool open all year or just for the summer? I'm almost finished building a Solar power generator (3.2 Kw).
Thanks,
Henry.

In prior years I've opened my pool May-Oct, and it's been swimmable June-Sept. But, without any heater just a solar cover it usually hangs out around 78-82 degrees most of the summer, only getting up into the higher 80's during particularly hot periods.

With the solar heating panels I'm hoping I can get to a swimmable 78+ in May, and maintain a more comfortable 84+ consistently throughout June-Sept.

I just finished the project so this will be my first year with it. I'll open the pool within the coming days because I'm getting restless but water's still in the 50's (without solar heating) so I swimming in April is probably unlikely.

So this is something I dealt with last year with my new EC40 filter and I'm just wondering whether there's any known problems and solutions.

I was getting a small amount of DE blow through in my AGP.

I disassembled the grid completely and inspected every finger individually, they all appear to be intact. I just don't understand how they're supposed to seal properly at all given the design of the filter. At the base of the fingers they're sandwiches between two plates but they use the filter fabric as the gasket and that simply doesn't seem like it would provide a DE tight seal. I reassembled it and made sure the bolts that hold the two plates together are tight but not too tight, and I added an extra stainless washer on the so that the c clips on the shaft hold it even more tightly sandwiched in the middle too. That dealt with most of the issue and reduced the blow through a lot, but there is still some, like a few dime sized spots on the floor when I vacuum weekly.

My working theory now is that I just need to wait for the tiny leaks at the base of each finger to get clogged up with soiled DE over time.

My backwashing process is total clean out, I open the filter to remove the grid assembly and make sure all DE is removed, then load the prescribed 4lbs directly into the filter.

I contacted Hayward and they wanted to send a tech out to diagnose etc. which I'm just not interested in. I already agree with their likely conclusion that inspection of the filter reveals no specific manufacturing faults. They said "send a picture of how much DE is blowing through" so I take it they are going to say a tiny amount is within normal.

I'm swapping out a 1HP for 3/4HP this year so maybe the reduced pressure will help too.
I had to change the bump diaphragm gasket on mine this year. Fixed the problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.