Hayward Peflext extended cycle DE filter ec65a

Newbie Pool Person

Gold Supporter
Jun 29, 2021
Hartford, CT
When pool company opened the pool recently they said the filter was very dirty the hoses it off with garden hose but said recommend new filter insert but that is $775 and a whole new filter is $900. Does this make any sense to buy an insert? If someone was buying a new filter altogether would a different one make sense to get - i.e. be better and/or cheaper for the say quality and /or cost less to run?

Thank you for your help! It seems so crazy to me the insert costs this much money!

New,

I just don't see a problem????

Why did they recommend new "grids"?

Just because a DE filter is dirty, does not mean that the filter is bad. Why did they not just clean it and add more DE???

Tell us more..

Edit.. A new set of grids for a Hayward 60 sq. ft. DE filter should be about $225 bucks.. You need to find someone that is not looking to rob you!!

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Newbie Pool Person
New,

I looked up "Hayward Extended Cycle DE filter" and it is not at all like the DE filter most people have.

Please show us a pic of the filter, so we can make sure we are comparing apples to apples.

Either way, they should tell you want is wrong with the filter you have, so you can decide if you need a new one or not.

Thanks,

Jim R.

When pool company opened the pool recently they said the filter was very dirty the hoses it off with garden hose but said recommend new filter insert but that is $775 and a whole new filter is $900. Does this make any sense to buy an insert? If someone was buying a new filter altogether would a different one make sense to get - i.e. be better and/or cheaper for the say quality and /or cost less to run?

Thank you for your help! It seems so crazy to me the insert costs this much money!
A 37.5sq. ft. DE filter on a pool that size? Go this way for the same money and never look back:

Thank you so much for all the insight!

This hayward documentation has a picture of where the flex tubes are in the perflex filter

I didn't realize the filter was undersized for the pool?! In the documentation it says it turns over 32,200 gallons in 8 hours. I think this means it can turnover the water once or really close fully once in 8 hours. When all is working I have a timed filter to run about 12 hours a day.

IMG_20230702_150258353.jpg

I had that same filter. The EC65A. I I had a few broken finger tubes. Maybe a dozen. A whole new finger assembly was around $800.00 last year. It sounds like that's what they're telling you you need. I said no and went the same way 1poolman1 suggests. Mine is a size larger though. Love it. Clean it once a year and other than that I don't think about it. It's very nice not having to deal with DE anymore and forget those 17 bolts that hold the top on the EC65. I'd have gotten rid of it just for that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.