JaySee

Jun 29, 2021
Toronto
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Looking to replace a very old Hayward sand + filter/multivalve-- I've been offered a choice between a Jandy and a Hayward. From an operational or quality standpoint is there a difference between the two brands? I've noticed that around here Hayward parts are easier to come by, but if a Jandy requires far less servicing over a longer period of time then I'd rather go for long term quality.

Any thoughts?

I will never own Jandy.. You HAVE to go through a dealer to do anything with them.. I want something that I can fix or install.. Pentair is the longer lasting and better built equipment.. then Hayward and Jandy...

Do you want to stay with a sand filter or go to a more efficient filter like the cartridge? I love a big cart filter as I only clean it once a year.. :)

I will never own Jandy.. You HAVE to go through a dealer to do anything with them.. I want something that I can fix or install.. Pentair is the longer lasting and better built equipment.. then Hayward and Jandy...

Do you want to stay with a sand filter or go to a more efficient filter like the cartridge? I love a big cart filter as I only clean it once a year.. :)

That would explain why it's harder to find Jandy parts vs Hayward, which seem to be everywhere.

I've never considered a cartridge filter, actually. I always thought sand the lowest maintenance-- backwash, rinse and we're good. Nothing to swap out, and if I read the forums correctly sand never really goes bad?

That would explain why it's harder to find Jandy parts vs Hayward, which seem to be everywhere.

I've never considered a cartridge filter, actually. I always thought sand the lowest maintenance-- backwash, rinse and we're good. Nothing to swap out, and if I read the forums correctly sand never really goes bad?
Correct you are, from a perspective of filtration it would be DE #1, cartridge #2 then sand #3. From a maintenance perspective sand with mpv then DE with backwash valve and 3rd is a cartridge filter which has no backwash capability and needs to be opened and remove the cartridges for cleaning.....

Correct you are, from a perspective of filtration it would be DE #1, cartridge #2 then sand #3. From a maintenance perspective sand with mpv then DE with backwash valve and 3rd is a cartridge filter which has no backwash capability and needs to be opened and remove the cartridges for cleaning.....

I understand there's a certain kind of sand that's 12 microns-- which is essentially the same effectiveness as a cartridge filter? (VS standard 30 micron sand)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.